Fanna's Reviews > The Program

The Program by Suzanne Young

72205668

bookshelves: january-2019-tbr, beat-the-backlist-2019, read-on-rivetedlit, read-in-2019

The Program is easily one of my favorite books because it's not easy and it's not simple and if you're looking for a science fiction, dystopia to give you an interesting concept along with a sad yet amazing storyline, then pick this up.

I think that sometimes the only real thing is now.

The book revolves around the idea of suicide becoming an epidemic and The Program working toward eradicating this by eliminating all sorts of memories in the patient that might have lead to the suicidal thoughts or depression in that patient. Sloane and James are in a strong relationship that helps them survive the deaths or reprogramming of a few of their closed ones amidst all the sad thoughts and The Program's surveillance for depression traits in students. It's frustrating to see them being forced to keep a smile plastered on their face and for them to not mourn when they really need to. The rest of the story gets all the more frustrating but in every good way possible while introducing characters that will leave you skeptical and a program that will act as that perfectly oppressive organization that you will cheer the characters to throw off. The romance and emotions is another great aspect, as is the writing.

A highly recommended read that I advise you to go into blindly because you'll be more surprised that way and enjoy the story all the more.

Initial Reaction: WOW, I really really liked this one! Will have to run for the sequel asap.

LISTS OR POSTS I'VE MENTIONED THIS BOOK IN:

January 2019 - 30 Books On My TBR For This Month

Blog/Website | Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram | Pinterest

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Program.

January 3, 2019 – Shelved
January 3, 2019 – Shelved as: definitive-tbr
January 3, 2019 – Shelved as: january-2019-tbr
January 7, 2019 – Started Reading
January 7, 2019 – Shelved as: beat-the-backlist-2019
January 7, 2019 – Shelved as: read-on-rivetedlit
January 7, 2019 – Shelved as: read-in-2019
January 10, 2019 –
9.0% "The concept is definitely interesting with the whole suicide has become an epidemic thing."
January 11, 2019 –
18.0% "The SADNESS and the FRUSTRATION in this book that's arising from all the deaths and the lack of mourning is legit making me emotional, I'm not kidding. Really liking it so far."
January 11, 2019 –
19.0% "I swear, nothing should happen to them both!"
January 12, 2019 –
21.0% "[Inside I'm dying, ripping apart and bleeding. I'm so far gone I'm not sure I can get back, but I open my notebook and poise my pencil over it, as if ready to write.]"
January 12, 2019 –
24.0% "[Can The Program take away our emotions, or do they always remain--only without a source?]"
January 12, 2019 –
28.0% "[No. The Program isn't the cure. It's the end of me.]"
January 12, 2019 –
35.0% "[Missing myself. I wish everything could just go back to the way it was, but instead I'm slowly losing everything--I'm witnessing my own death.]"
January 12, 2019 –
36.0% "["He was everything," I say. "And now he's nothing."]"
January 13, 2019 –
40.0% "[We're not codependent, you bitch. We love each other.]"
January 13, 2019 –
46.0% "[You're the only person I can ever trust. You're the only one who'll ever know the real me.]"
January 13, 2019 –
58.0% "['I don't want anyone to take care of me,' I say. 'I want to figure out how to take care of myself. I don't even know who I am anymore.']"
January 14, 2019 –
January 15, 2019 –
76.0% "[Emotions that are there, but without cause. Feelings that aren't attached to memories and therefore meaningless.]"
January 15, 2019 –
83.0% "[What I see is someone broken and fierce. Someone loyal and hardened. Someone who could belong to me completely and me to him,]"
January 15, 2019 –
90.0% "[Some things are better left in the past. And true things are destined to repeat themselves.]"
January 15, 2019 –
96.0% "[I think that sometimes the only real thing is now.]"
January 15, 2019 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
January 15, 2019 – Shelved as: science-fiction (Paperback Edition)
January 15, 2019 – Shelved as: romance (Paperback Edition)
January 15, 2019 – Finished Reading