Amy's Reviews > The Name of the Wind

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

Jan 21, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: fantasy

There are a couple of things to like about this book. The writing is technically good, and I quite enjoyed the parts that took place in the tavern and the bits about the travelling entertainers. However, the book itself is dull. Noting happens. It's not even good as a character study because Kvothe (the main character) is already perfect at everything (the term "Gary-Stu" comes to mind), and everyone else are shallow caricatures. I was hesitant to give this book one star rather than two because it IS well written, but I've seen someone describe this book as a male version of Twilight, and I can't help but feel that does a disservice to Stephenie Meyer. At least Twilight had a plot.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Name of the Wind.

Quotes Amy Liked

Patrick Rothfuss
“When we are children we seldom think of the future. This innocence leaves us free to enjoy ourselves as few adults can. The day we fret about the future is the day we leave our childhood behind.”

Patrick Rothfuss
“You have to be a bit of a liar to tell a story the right way.”

Patrick Rothfuss
“Its like he knows he's better than you, but doesn't look down on you for it because he knows it's not your fault.”

Patrick Rothfuss
“Bones mend. Regret stays with you forever.”

Patrick Rothfuss
“Just pity him, my boy. Tomorrow we'll be on our way, but he'll have to keep his own disagreeable company until the day he dies.”

Patrick Rothfuss
“We understand how dangerous a mask can be. We all become what we pretend to be.”

Patrick Rothfuss
“There are two sure ways to lose a friend, one is to borrow, the other is to lend.”

January 21, 2012 – Shelved