Melanie's Reviews > My Fake Canadian Wife

My Fake Canadian Wife by M.     Hollis

bookshelves: arc, read-in-2019, romance, own-voices, lgbtqiap, new-adult, novellas-and-short-stories

ARC provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.

Did I just start 2019 off with the cutest sapphic relationship set up, that also featured a pan love interest? Wow, the blessings for this new year already! Friends, I loved this. And if you’re looking for something diverse, something hella cute, something super romantic, and something that’s a really quick read, then look no further.

“Why was it so hard to find good mainstream media where you could see two girls falling in love with a happy ending? Even harder if I wanted to find stories with black girls. Brazilian black girls falling in love? Mostly, I’d only found them in indie and self-published books. Maybe it would be easier to enjoy more media if everything I tried to watch didn’t look as white as the walls of my apartment.”

My Fake Canadian Wife is an ownvoices story for the Brazilian and the queer representation. Our main character, Dora, is a lesbian and is an aspiring photographer from Brazil, who moved to Canada to go to school, and is still currently living there. Sadly, their camera broke so they are currently working as a barista at a local café trying to save up money. That is, until Dora receives a letter from immigration telling her that she hasn’t updated her student Visa and that she is going to be deported if the situation isn’t corrected.

Dora is feeling helpless, and unsure if she wants to move back with her family in Brazil, but a coworker introduces her to Abby, who is a librarian, pan, adorable, and totally willing to marry Dora to keep her in the country. But first, they have to see if they are both willing to commit to something like this, and they have to find out if they even like being around each other for long periods of time. And what better way than for Dora to spend Christmas and the holidays with Abby and her family? And they both learn a lot about themselves and the kind of relationship that they want and need.

Last year, I fell in love with The Melody of You and Me which starred a pan main character who fell for a Filipino girl, and at this point I think M. Hollis is writing stories specifically for me and my interests. Even though both of these stories are filled with very real and challenging situations, but are heartwarming, sapphic stories that just fill my body and soul with so much pure joy and happiness.

Overall, I just loved this and I really appreciate the stories that M. Hollis keeps writing. They always make me feel so seen, and I always have the biggest smile on my face while reading their stories. I’ll be the first to say that this story is a little predictable, but that didn’t make me love it any less. I hope 2019 is filled with f/f romances like this! And I hope M. Hollis never stops writing them, especially after reading the author acknowledgements because you can really tell they put a lot of themselves into this beautiful story and it really shines through.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch

The quote above was taken from an ARC and is subject to change upon publication.

Content and trigger warnings for talk of cancer and talk of the loss of a loved one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Fake Canadian Wife.

January 2, 2019 – Shelved
January 2, 2019 – Shelved as: new-adult
January 2, 2019 – Shelved as: novellas-and-short-stories
January 5, 2019 – Started Reading
January 5, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by Elise (new)

Elise (TheBookishActress) MY FAKE CANADIAN WIFE?? IS THE BEST TITLE IVE EVER SEEN

message 2: by MARK ANTEL (new)

MARK ANTEL Hey I love you and your books

message 3: by MARK ANTEL (new)

MARK ANTEL I know right Elise the My Fake Canadian Wife book is a very good book

Melanie Elise wrote: "MY FAKE CANADIAN WIFE?? IS THE BEST TITLE IVE EVER SEEN"

RIGHT? Ahhh! the 2019 sapphic blessings already! 💖xx

message 5: by Amanda ☕ (new)

Amanda ☕ Your review photos are SO PRETTY that they make me want an iPad. *_*

Melanie Amanda ☕ wrote: "Your review photos are SO PRETTY that they make me want an iPad. *_*"

Awh! Amanda! You are too kind, sweetheart! I hope you're having the happiest of reading! 💖xx