Heidi's Reviews > My Soul to Take

My Soul to Take by Yrsa Sigurðardóttir

bookshelves: armchair-travel, read-in-2019

Ever since I “discovered” Yrsa Sigurdardottir’s books a year ago when I picked up the Children’s House series, I have been steadily reading my way through all her previous books and absolutely loving each and every one of them. MY SOUL TO TAKE was no exception, and I look forward to reading all the others in the Thora Gudmundsdottir series.

I am happy to say that this books contains all the elements that I love so much in Sigurdardottir’s writing – there is the hallmark remote atmospheric setting, a spooky element, a bunch of well-rounded characters and of course some gruesome murders. You could almost describe MY SOUL TO TAKE as a “closed door mystery”, as it all takes place in a remote hotel in the Snaefellsnes region, where the barren and eerie landscape lends itself perfectly not only to the murders but also to the strange noises in the night of a child crying inconsolably. Since access to the hotel had been cut off during the murder due to roadworks that made the drive impassable, the list of suspects is contained to patrons of the hotel or local residents in the small village nearby. But if you think that will make the task easier, you are wrong – this is one clever killer, and the motive may not be as clear cut as suspected. Lucky for the police, Thora Gudmundsdottir is on the case, since the hotel belongs to one of her clients who has called her to investigate the claims that the hotel grounds are haunted, which has been hurting his business.

I loved the way Sigurdardottir manages to infuse her story with so many elements that made it both entertaining and interesting. Since the present murders seem to be connected to events of the past, we also learn some of Iceland’s history on our journey. Sigurdardottir drew me immediately into the story with a chilling first paragraph and it consumed me until I knew all the answers. I can’t wait to read the next in the series!

*blog* *facebook* *instagram*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Soul to Take.

January 2, 2019 – Shelved