D.K. Hundt's Reviews > Wanderers

Wanderers by Chuck Wendig

bookshelves: netgalley

I’m a huge fan of apocalyptic stories, and WANDERERS didn’t disappoint, an book eight hundred pages, I wanted to take my time reading every tension-filled moment.

The novel opens with seventeen-year-old Shana Stewart, looking for her younger sister, Nessie, who goes missing. Fearing Nessie has run away, again, Shana goes looking for her, only to find Nessie walking down the road in a sleepwalking state, destination unknown. It isn’t long before other sleepwalkers, and a few of their loved ones following close behind, join Nessie and her protector, Shana. As the number of the walker's increases, so does the theories behind what’s causing their somnambulist status, thus creating a panic that serves as fuel for an ultraviolent militia group determined to eliminate them. (Not a spoiler, it’s in the synopsis)

I would describe WANDERERS as horror/science fiction, in an age of advanced technology, as detailed throughout the narrative, served to enhance my fear as I clung onto hope like a life preserver until the stories end. And oh, that ending, the reveal was surprising and well done, in my opinion.

There are many characters in the novel; my favorites are Shana and her take-no-shit-from-anyone attitude, Arav and Marcy (for reasons I won’t spoil here). Wendig does an excellent of giving the reader just enough information about the main characters; it was easy to empathize with my favorites and loathe the evil that wants to harm them.

Highly Recommend!

Thank you to NetGalley and Del Rey Publishing for providing me with an ARC of the WANDERERS for review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wanderers.

January 2, 2019 – Shelved