Madeleine's Reviews > Where the Crawdads Sing

Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens

20603646

bookshelves: 2019-reads, audio, buddy-read, x-historical-fiction

4.75 STARS

I was so nervous to read this book -- I mean, 4.54 average on Goodreads as I'm writing this! -- but glad to report, it pretty much lived up to the hype!

Delia Owens has been a nature writer, with this being her first novel, and it shows. I didn't think marshlands and swampy North Carolina could be so beautiful! I don't do very well with overly descriptive narratives -- my mind tends to wander too much. So I'm glad I listened to the audio version of this. The narrator almost put me to sleep a few times with her soothing voice! I also loved listening to the accents. I had a physical copy of the book as well, and when I went to read it vs listen to the audio, I just couldn't make my brain read the accents appropriately. So, if you're into them, I'd definitely recommend this on audiobook.

Kya is our main character, a girl abandoned in the swamp, soon to be known as "The Marsh Girl". The book is told in alternating timelines from 1952, and follows Kya growing up until 1969, when a former star quarterback is found dead. As Kya's original timeline approached the investigation timeline, I couldn't wait to see what ended up happening. While some parts in the original timeline dragged on, I still loved getting to know Kya and seeing her, against all odds, survive in the marsh (view spoiler)

The ending left me feeling... some type-a way. It's hard to discuss without getting into spoilers, so: (view spoiler)

Honestly, not quite a 5-star read for me due to the ending, but I still loved this story and would recommend! It's hard to pinpoint an exact genre for this, as it has a little bit of everything... but I'd especially recommend this book for fans of historical fiction (especially those that transport you to an exotic setting) and mystery!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where the Crawdads Sing.

January 2, 2019 – Shelved