Darque Dreamer 's Reviews > Stain

Stain by A.G. Howard

bookshelves: top-reads

Stain is hauntingly enchanting. It’s an epic tale with a perfect blend of whimsy, darkness, and “faerie tale happiness.” Vividly beautiful, with a nice sprinkle of Grimm horror, this one is sure to ensorcell you!

I absolutely loved Stain. It had so many rich details, and world building for ages! It felt like it had hints of Snow White, Cinderella, and Sleeping Beauty with a sprinkle of A Midsummer Night’s Dream and Stardust. It also shined with inspiration from The Princess and the Pea, but it sparkled with its own originality and depth.

This tale was everything I hoped it would be, and so much more. It was a fully realized faerie tale with bits of Gothicism, and plenty of moral lessons to provoke the mind. It spoke to me on the importance of inner beauty, friendship, sacrifice, and showing kindness in place of prejudice. It even brought to mind a very important quote from one of my favorite songs, “With glowing pride I’ll wear my scars.” (Malleus Maleficarum by AFI).

Stain was about struggle and strength. It was about true love and doing what’s right, and it was about truly getting to know someone beyond their appearance. But, it was also about struggling kingdoms, magical creatures, and prophecies. It was exciting, dark, and beautiful, and it was about the vivaciously dynamic characters and how they touched each other’s lives.

These characters were incredible. From odd little Lyra who defied all odds and found her inner strength and beauty, to terrifying Crony who proved that it’s what’s on the inside that counts, to the alluring trickster Luce who symbolized the importance of a conscience and redemption, to Scorch who symbolized friendship and the importance of truly getting to know and love someone, and Vesper who symbolized bravery and honor. And, let’s not forget our evil aunt Griselda and her horrid daughters, whom added a horrifying layer of strife, struggle, and wickedness.

Stain was hands down the best faerie tale I have ever read. I finished it in one sitting and dreamed about it that night. The world and story came to life right off the pages. Everything was so rich and vivid, and the characters touched my heart and sparked deep emotion and thought while I was reading. I loved everything about the book and Howard’s beautiful writing. If you haven’t ordered this book yet, you need to!

Thank you to Abrams/Amulet Books for providing me with this free ARC in exchange for my honest review!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stain.

January 2, 2019 – Shelved
January 6, 2019 – Started Reading
January 6, 2019 – Finished Reading
January 7, 2019 –
page 511
99.8% "I literally spent the ENTIRE day yesterday reading this and now I am needing to collect my thoughts to try to do it justice with a review because OMG it was SOOOO GOOD!!"
January 11, 2019 – Shelved as: top-reads