Katie Fitzgerald's Reviews > Interior Castle

Interior Castle by Teresa of Ávila

2281988
#Cathlit challenge: A Classic Spiritual Work

I had such a hard time getting through this book, which was my Catholic moms book club's pick for January 2019. I recognize that St. Teresa is imparting lots of valuable wisdom and insight, but I grew weary of the repetition, and of the saint's constant commentary on how unworthy she is to write this book. Though I think I gained some understanding of the concept of an interior life, I don't feel like this book left me with any specific ideas about how to foster it, especially as I'm not a nun, and the intended audience was a group of sisters. Still, though, I did feel compelled to keep reading, and I do think that it is important to read the whole book to understand at the last the broad strokes of what the saint wishes to tell us. I also finished the book with the sense that, while St. Teresa is never going to be a saint I find relatable, she is probably one whose intercession I should seek out more often. While I think I prefer the writings of Caryll Houselander (a mystic who smoked and drank and lived in the modern world, but is so far not a canonized saint), I can see why I should still strive to be more like St. Teresa of Avila even if I don't connect with her particular writing style.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Interior Castle.

January 2, 2019 – Started Reading