Karen’s Library's Reviews > The Farm

The Farm by Joanne Ramos

bookshelves: dystopian, netgalley

If sleep and work wouldn't have interfered with my reading time, I think I would have read The Farm in one sitting. I had such a hard time putting this one down!

Although it's a little reminiscent of The Handmaid's Tale, insofar as young viable women have babies for the very rich, the premise of the book could (and probably is) taking place somewhere in the world right now, in some form.

The Farm is all about the money! The women who are hired treat The Farm as a well paid job. For the ones who run The Farm, it's all about the bottom line. I found this idea fascinating and can easily see this actually happening, if not now, then soon.

The book is written from the POVs of 4 women. Mae, the woman who recruits the Hosts and the Clients and who runs The Farm; Jane, a Host who is a Filipino young woman with an infant daughter who needs the job to support her child; Ate, Jane's elderly cousin, who helped Jane to apply for the job and watches her daughter for her; and Reagan, another Host, who is a highly educated white woman who is trying to find her purpose in life.

I was intrigued about this story from the minute I read the synopsis and it was even better than I expected!

*Thank you to NetGalley and Random House Publishing for an advanced copy of The Farm!*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Farm.

January 2, 2019 – Shelved
January 2, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
May 5, 2019 – Started Reading
May 5, 2019 –
May 6, 2019 –
49.0% "Wow, I'm devouring this book!"
May 6, 2019 – Shelved as: dystopian
May 6, 2019 – Finished Reading
May 7, 2019 – Shelved as: netgalley

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Terrific review! :)

Karen’s Library Sandra wrote: "Terrific review! :)"

Thank you, Sandra! I really enjoyed this one!!