Cortney's Reviews > Chase the Wild Pigeons: A Novel of the Civil War

Chase the Wild Pigeons by John Gschwend

Jan 21, 2012

bookshelves: first-reads

I won this book from a goodreads.com first reads giveaway. Let me say first that I absolutely LOVED this book. The triumph and terror these young boys faced during the civil war is unimaginable. I found myself cheering them on, almost crying for them. My heart broke, I laughed out loud and I was filled with anger and rage throughout the story. Not too many books can have people go through all those emotions and back again, but this one did. It was a great story of survival, the best of friends beating the odds together and growing into young men, proud young men. It reaffirms the fact that race is only skin deep and underneath, the blood still runs red in everyone. No matter what side you are on, we all still want the same goal...peace and happiness. Kudos to these characters for never giving up on their dreams. Amazing story. So glad I was lucky enough to read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chase the Wild Pigeons.

January 21, 2012 – Shelved
February 13, 2012 –
page 186
February 13, 2012 –
page 200
61.92% "Gosh, I really love this story. I dont want it to end."
February 15, 2012 –
page 285
February 15, 2012 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Marion (new)

Marion Hernandez For readers who have finished this book: what is the reading level? high school reading level or beyond...suitable for community college?

Cortney I feel high school and beyond.

message 3: by Marion (new)

Marion Hernandez thanks for responding so quickly. Is your assessment of the level, (high school and beyond) based on vocabulary, abstract themes, mature content, "R" rated content, violence?