Katie Fitzgerald's Reviews > The Reed Of God

The Reed Of God by Caryll Houselander

2281988
#CathLit challenge - Book by a Catholic woman

I really love the way Houselander writes. She expresses so beautifully the role of the Blessed Mother in the life of Christ, and in the lives of Christians, and puts things I have known superficially my whole life into a perspective where I could really feel and comprehend them for the first time. I happened to be in the middle of this book on the Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God, and it could not been more fitting reading for the feast day. The copy I read was from a university library, but this is a title I think it would be beneficial to own and re-read every so often.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Reed Of God.

Quotes Katie Liked

Caryll Houselander
“We do not have to discover in which of several people Christ is to be found; we must look for Him in them all. And not in an experimental spirit, to discover whether He is in them . . . but with the absolute certainty that He is. . . . Christ does not choose to be known through outward appearances—even the appearance of virtue.”
Caryll Houselander, The Reed of God

Caryll Houselander
“... those who seek the lost Lord will find traces of His being and beauty in all that men have made, from music and poetry and sculpture to the gingerbread men in the pâtisseries, from the final calculation of the pure mathematician to the first delighted chalk drawing of a small child.”
Caryll Houselander, The Reed of God

Caryll Houselander
“Working, eating, sleeping, she was forming His body from hers. His flesh and blood. From her humanity she gave Him His humanity. Walking in the streets of Nazareth to do her shopping, to visit her friends, she set His feet on the path of Jerusalem. Washing, weaving, kneading, sweeping, her hands prepared His hands for the nails. Every beat of her heart gave Him His heart to love with, His heart to be broken by love. All her experience of the world about her was gathered to Christ growing in her.”

Caryll Houselander
“Sometimes it may seem to us that there is no purpose in our lives, that going day after day for years to this office or that school or factory is nothing else but waste and weariness. But it may be that God has sent us there because but for us Christ would not be there. If our being there means that Christ is there, that alone makes it worthwhile.”

Caryll Houselander
“Most of us know how cruel those people who think of themselves as more sensitive than others can be. We know the torture of liking—let alone loving—someone who is always taking offence, who watches us, using his own socalled sensitiveness as a magnifying glass to detect slights and coldness in the smallest involuntary expression on our faces; who has mental ears like whispering galleries, ready to detect hardness of heart in the tones of our voice; who interprets our every action in the twilight of his own obsessional self-pity. We are unable to maintain friendship with these poor people. The tension in which they force us to live, the nervous self-consciousness they engender in us, becomes unbearable, and if we do not somehow manage to escape (even if it be only through the hardening of our own hearts), we shall become even worse nervous wrecks than they are.”

Started Reading