Jeann (Happy Indulgence) 's Reviews > Wicked Saints

Wicked Saints by Emily A. Duncan

it was ok

I felt like this had so much potential, but unfortunately after reaching the end, I was left disappointed.

I really liked the world-building, it was dark, cold and filled with heretics and blood magic. The discussions about religion vs magic and the political debate was also really fascinating. I actually quite liked Nadya, and how she could talk to gods in her head. Serefin was also a fascinating character especially with the amount of abuse his character experiences. Malachiasz didn't really feel like THE BIG BAD VILLAIN as the blurb promised. Again, it was more told than shown through his actions/words.

However, when I reached a certain twist that reminded me of The Darkling of the Grisha trilogy, that's where things went downhill for me. Especially since Nadya just kind of went along with it even though it's against everything she ever believed in? Things just felt repetitive after that and the plot definitely meandered.

While I definitely think the pacing of the book was extremely slow, that's not necessarily a bad thing as I could fully absorb the details based of religion, Gods and Russian mythology. However, it's when I realised there wasn't really a definite plot to the book - which means things felt cobbled together towards the very confusing end.

It's hard to pinpoint into words what exactly went wrong - the complex character dynamics, morally grey ambitions and the characters themselves were kind of there. But it was just confusing to read, ambiguous and not really defined really well? It was just a frustrating experience because as a reader, it felt like I was dropped into a story that was more in the author's head than was actually told on the page.

What I was left with was a book that was confusing, unsatisfying and an overall disappointment. I'm still confused by what I just read even after going over multiple points of the book.

Trigger warnings: self-harm, parental abuse

Check out Happy Indulgence Books for more reviews!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wicked Saints.

January 2, 2019 – Shelved
January 2, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
June 7, 2019 – Started Reading
June 11, 2019 –
page 126
32.73% "Loving the lush Russian lore so far!"
June 13, 2019 –
page 303
78.7% "Do I hear a Darkling?"
June 14, 2019 – Finished Reading