Jennifer's Reviews > Wonder Boys

it was ok
bookshelves: read-in-2012
Recommended for: A die-hard Michael Chabon fan
Read from January 17 to 19, 2012 , read count: 1

(spoilers) I really wanted to like this book. I had read a different Chabon book and enjoyed it, and I've heard great things about Adventures of Kavalier and Clay. Bob Dylan even won an Oscar for a song inspired by this/written for the soundtrack of this movie. Yet, as I was reading it, I found the prose got very tiresome, perhaps much like Grady's hulking novel he couldn't finish. I didn't care about any of the characters or what happened to them. I didn't care that Grady's wife left him. I didn't care that his mistress, who was an important member of the college, was pregnant. I didn't care that his novel flew out of the open car door. I didn't care about James and his maybe-maybe-not grandparents. I am a dog lover, and I didn't even care when the dog got shot. Nothing. Perhaps because the whole 300 pages spanned only one weekend, I felt like it was just a string of random unbelievable events that didn't really matter one way or the other, but remained in the text just to be ridiculous. I am hoping that Kavalier and Clay surpasses Wonder Boys in every aspect imaginable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wonder Boys.