Nicola's Reviews > Dead Is Best

Dead Is Best by Jo Perry

U 50x66

Dead is Best is the 2nd book in the Charlie & Rose series ("Dead is Better" is the first) -- it's not absolutely essential to read them in order, the investigative storylines aren't connected, but sticking with the order will definitely help you get a better hold on the story behind the heroes, Charlie & Rose.

Now, I'll be completely honest here -- I'm really biased about these books. I love Jo Perry (even though we've never met), and I love her work. I find her writing wonderful, it really appeals to me. And I especially love the unique nature of her heroes and the poignancy of how they are able to be heroes. Ms Perry's writing is very unique, and some themes run through the Charlie & Rose books. In this 2nd book, for example, her signature short chapters are back -- something I'm really drawn to (maybe I'm a bit compulsive, but I find short chapters especially appealing if I only have a few minutes to devote to reading -- allows me to complete a scene, rather than maybe only reading a third of a longer chapter and having to do a re-read when I pick it up again). I also love how each of her chapters begins with a relevant quote from someone famous. Some of my favorites from Dead is Best include quotes from George Orwell, John Keats, and Francis Crick!

(And, being a Brit, I was particularly touched by the honorary mentions of the Union Jack and the Queen of England!)

You'll find these books so easy to read, & you'll quickly be grabbed by their substance. And although there's a touch of sadness in the stories and in the heroes, in the end, each book is also a tribute to how the good forces in life eventually persist. I don't know about you, but right now I need that kind of hope in my life on a daily basis.

Ms Perry does a fabulous job of creating some characters who you'll love, and others who you'll despise. "When it comes to assholes—greedy ones—they’re everywhere," is one memorable quote from the book. You know for sure she's met people like this. Heck, she knows for sure that you've met some too! She has an amazing ability to highlight the worst of some aspects of humanity that we all see or hear about on a regular basis, while balancing it with an equal or greater dose of the types of "good" that we also often hear about.

As you read her books, you'll learn that Ms Perry is a huge advocate of the welfare of both animals and humans. And, if I had to sum up the final theme of the goodness behind this story, I'd say it involves a lovely theme of nature, the environment, diversity, and inclusiveness. One part of the story that really warmed my heart was somewhere almost in the middle of the book, when Charlie took Rose to see Peter at Gloria’s apartment... (I won’t further explain this, I’ll just leave it to you to find as you're reading the book).

Go visit the Fahrenheit Press website for the very best prices on the Charlie & Rose series, and on any of their other books. Be sure to follow Jo on Twitter, too!

But in the meantime, pay attention to your surroundings—there are unsung heroes everywhere. In the words of Charlie himself, in Dead is Best: “For all you know, Rose & I—like X-rays—are passing through your warm body right now.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead Is Best.

Finished Reading