CaseyTheCanadianLesbrarian's Reviews > Tell Me How You Really Feel

Tell Me How You Really Feel by Aminah Mae Safi

Parts of this YA I loved, and others I feel iffy about. Two seniors at a fancy prep school, one a future doctor with rich grandparents and a "have-to-be-perfect-daughter" complex and the other a scholarship recepient and filmmaker with a huge chip on her shoulder.

Loved: enemies-to-lovers, sometimes unlikable girls, and ethnic/religious diversity (one is a Muslim girl with South Asian and Persian background, the other a Jewish Mexican American). I also thought the writing at times, where the author integrated movie making metaphors was fitting and cool.

Didn't love: the rushed ending and how the author seemed to be deliberately avoiding the words gay/lesbian/etc. I'm still feeling very puzzled about that last point. I just don't get it, and cannot think of any reason why! And the cover is so gay!! There were multiple instances related to both girls where they were described or described themselves as "not straight" and "liking girls" in a way and so many times that it felt weird and unnatural. If anyone can give insight on this I would love it! I am wondering if it's a cultural difference I'm not aware of.

I think this book is gonna be hit and miss with readers; the unlikeability of Rachel in particular for a large first part of the book is gonna put people off, as will the amount of time it takes to get from definite hate to maybe like to love. I was okay with both these things and could even appreciate them to some extent but I can definitely see them bugging other people, or even causing people to bail on the book.

Also there are apparently very obvious Gilmore Girls parallels in this book that went over my head because I've never seen that show.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tell Me How You Really Feel.

January 2, 2019 – Shelved
May 22, 2019 – Shelved as: reading-in-colour
May 22, 2019 – Shelved as: contemporary
May 23, 2019 –
page 257
80.31% "But why aren't any of the adults in Sana's life asking her *why* she doesn't want to put down the deposit for Princeton?"
May 25, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Page Not that it's that same thing, but I don't get why people in movies and tv shows won't say "zombie." Like, do the people in The Walking Dead not live in George A. Romero's America?? Perhaps in the case of both "gay" and "zombies," writers feel like using a specific word we all know gives the work connotations he/she/they don't like or want?

Jenny (Reading Envy) Love the cover!