Natverse's Reviews > The Selection

The Selection by Kiera Cass

did not like it
bookshelves: dysfunctional, dystopian, in-a-time-of-war, tstl-protagonists, im-kinda-embarassed-i-read-this
Recommended to Natverse by: Goodreads failed me again.
Recommended for: Non-feminists, people with little dignity.

NOTE: I want to remind readers that it is important to give all books a fair chance despite negative reviews and the author or their agent opening their mouth when they shouldn't. That being said, I have nothing personal against Kiera Cass and she seems like a lovely human being, but I really did not like this book. See linked article for agent's involvement in unpaid reviewer controversy.

Sentence: I sentence Kiera Cass to a season of The Bachelor in which everyone is selected to be dropped off on a deserted island and are made to fight to the death (until there is only one left). But then, as a prize, the survivor has to marry some asshole she may or may not like.

Review: I wasn't really blown away by the cover, although I'd love to twirl around in a dress that freaking huge.

It'd probably go down like this though:

But really, I was excited for this bizarre twist on dystopian caste systems and competing with each other (yet again). What I found, however, was a cheap imitation of The Hunger Games meets The Bachelor meets A Little Princess (competition against nation of numbers for prince's hand in marriage, but with a little homesick orphan-like story time/bonding in their boarding school the palace). I wasn't sure whether to be pissed I had wasted my time or just relieved I had found something else to read to cleanse my mind afterward.

I settled on being productively angry at the world, through a chart, which I made to compare The Hunger Games to The Selection.

See this awesome chart.

Don't get me wrong, there were plenty of things different between the two books. Mostly how America is a total fucking pushover (see idiot) and signed up to change her life for her boyfriend's piece of mind. Then when he wanted her back she realized she had to see the Selection through because she is doing it for herself. WHAT A LOAD OF HORSESHIT. Unless she's a gold digger, which might just be her reasoning. I do know she's a fucking narc though.

I have determined that America clearly doesn't know what the hell she wants, and needs to realize that if she is oh-so-good at giving the prince political advice, and is just as pretty as everyone claims she is, she needs to consider becoming a goddamn symbol of rebellion. Maybe even, heaven forbid, become a better person. Because that's where this is headed, isn't it? America: the symbol of freedom and rebellion. Now why does that sound familiar? Everything was so frakking predictable in this book.

(view spoiler)

Apparently the southerners are going to kill everyone in the palace before Maxon makes a decision. I won't stand for such tomfuckery. This series is seriously over in my head and I won't hear of it again, much like Kelly Keaton's Darkness Becomes Her (that one made me physically vomit).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Selection.

January 20, 2012 – Shelved
April 19, 2012 – Started Reading
April 21, 2012 – Finished Reading
August 10, 2012 – Shelved as: dystopian
August 10, 2012 – Shelved as: dysfunctional
August 10, 2012 – Shelved as: in-a-time-of-war
August 10, 2012 – Shelved as: tstl-protagonists
January 5, 2018 – Shelved as: im-kinda-embarassed-i-read-this

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)

Reading Wolf Definitely saw those THG connections. Also glad to see I wasn't the only one predicting what would happen.

Natverse Reading Wolf wrote: "Definitely saw those THG connections. Also glad to see I wasn't the only one predicting what would happen."

It was not the first and it certainly will not be the last. I still think YA with HG aspects can be good, but I just get annoyed when they blatantly use something and don't even try to dress it up. I read a book recently, that featured 12 districts. At least cut it down to 11 or 10, amirite?

Reading Wolf 12 districts....Seriously? Which book was it?

Natverse Reading Wolf wrote: "12 districts....Seriously? Which book was it?"

Crewel. lol I was not amused.

Reading Wolf Ahh. I have heard some rather bad reviews about Crewel.

Natverse Well, yes. It sets you up to expect so much, while you receive so little that's new. I don't know why I expected any better. Though the writing was great (for teen). I can always appreciate a good writer.

Caitlin In their defense popcorn is actually pretty cheap, but popcorn for diner would be a more accurate portrayal of cash strapped family means.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Reading Wolf read machine wrote: "Umm suzanne collins did not invent districts and come on comparing it to the thg?"

There were some elements that stuck out as similar between The Selection and THG. Take a look at the chart she has linked, she has about 10 of them. I still found it enjoyable and read the second book. I'm hoping the last book will wrap things up well and I look forward to seeing if my prediction in book one will come true.

message 10: by Lady (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lady Entropy Loved the chart, and I also noticed that, just like in THG, with president Snow, in The Selection there also is an oppressive, tyrannical father\authority figure that takes a disliking to the main character and vows to destroy her should she not do what he tells her to -- ie the King.

Natverse Lady wrote: "Loved the chart, and I also noticed that, just like in THG, with president Snow, in The Selection there also is an oppressive, tyrannical father\authority figure that takes a disliking to the main ..."

Ooh, that's a good one I missed. I'm sure I've missed quite a bit actually. lol

message 12: by Tara (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tara That chart was great! I really did not see why people were comparing it to The Hunger Games or saying that if you liked The Hunger Games that you would like this one... but that chart cleared up why people thought that!!

Jacque I think the worst part of all of this was finding out, upon finishing the last paragraph, that this was only the first volume in what was promising to be one of the worst teen series' (I'm assuming trilogy) I have ever readI agree -- I hadn't seen the jacket or read anything about this book -- just borrowed it off my daughter's nightstand -- the moldy icing on the cake of terrible writing was finding out at the end it was only a part 1. What a rip-off. I'll skip reading more bad books just to find out what happens. Ugh