Jenny's Reviews > Natural Born Charmer

Natural Born Charmer by Susan Elizabeth Phillips

Jan 20, 2012

I have this thing about romance books -- a thing I look for that pretty much decides how much I'm going to like the book as I read it. That thing is what they called the "meet cute" in old movies, i.e. how the two main romantic couple meets. If that first meeting doesn't touch me somehow -- be it, make me laugh, make me interested, send chills down my spine, whatever -- then I pretty much give up on the book going from that point forward.

This book SO did not mess up the "meet cute." My GOD did it not mess it up. Blue's (the main female character) first words to Dean after he's inquired whether he could be of some help to her? "Do you have a gun?" And when he says he doesn't, Blue's response, "Then I have no use for you." Perfect. And from Dean's point of view, he sees her walking down the road in a beaver costume....well, most of one anyway. How could it get any better than that? (And of course, I'm paraphrasing the quotes there...I don't remember the exact words used.)

I love these characters, and not just the main ones, either. Every one of the characters that show up in this book are fantastically crafted and flawed and perfect.

I can tell you, I am now a Susan Elizabeth Phillips fan. I don't think I've had this much fun with a book since I read "Agnes and the Hitman" by Jennifer Crusie.

And by the way, Dean's father? Totally Keith Richards in my head.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Natural Born Charmer.