Kelly (and the Book Boar)'s Reviews > The Trauma Cleaner: One Woman's Extraordinary Life in the Business of Death, Decay, and Disaster

The Trauma Cleaner by Sarah Krasnostein

bookshelves: dysfunction-junction, ewwwww, liburrrrrry-book, memoir, non-fiction, read-in-2019

Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

“What’s the difference between a private library and a book hoarder?”

“Feces.”

Now for the question of the day – can Kelly .gif up a non-fiction review?????

This book has received mixed reviews from my friends, but after seeing Debbie's reaction I figured it was worth me rolling the dice. It totally was too and really my only complaint was this was supposed to be a BI.O.GRA.PHY. People who write books like these are only supposed to be telling you about the person they are writing about. They aren’t supposed to show their obvious raging boner of a crush on their subject or interject their own sob story into the mix. Me no likey that bit.

Now on to the part I can see being a peeve for many others. Most of the trips on the way-back machine to Sandra Pankhurst’s history can be reacted to like such . . . .

Her memory fails her in many of the places where it counts the most which makes her a very unreliable narrator for the remainder. It also makes non-fiction read like fiction which is waaaaaaaaaaaaay beneficial to achieving a high score on the Kelly and Mitchell entertainment scale. Really, the only issue I have with the way Pankhurst’s history is presented is that a certain type of people (who wouldn’t ever even read this book to begin with, but certainly would have no problem bashing it) will use it to say that gender identity is a mental disorder brought on by a person’s upbringing – and that makes me barf. But fuck those people, right?

The other thing I kept thinking while reading was “why didn’t James Frey do this when he wrote his “memoir”?????” Remember James Frey and his million little pieces that made Oprah all . . . .

Hindsight is 20/20 for that fella!

But anywho, if you aren’t a big non-fiction reader and looooooooooooooooooove shows like this . . . .

(Nothing makes me clean house quicker than a Hoarders marathon, knowwhatI’msayin’???)

You might find this to be a winner for you too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Trauma Cleaner.

January 2, 2019 – Started Reading
January 4, 2019 – Shelved as: memoir
January 4, 2019 – Shelved as: non-fiction
January 4, 2019 – Shelved as: read-in-2019
January 4, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)

message 1: by Vivian (new)

Vivian Just seeing you talk about Hoarders makes me want to throw away things. Like right now.

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Vivian wrote: "Just seeing you talk about Hoarders makes me want to throw away things. Like right now."

LOL! I don't necessarily throw away anything (because as far as I'm concerned all books and Christmas decorations are NECESSARY), but I do scrub the crap out of my house whenever I get sucked into one of these marathons.

message 3: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Strömquist I'm just down here liking this review on account of the Frances McDormand-gif, I promise I'll go right back up and read it now!

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Thomas wrote: "I'm just down here liking this review on account of the Frances McDormand-gif, I promise I'll go right back up and read it now!"

I love it! I was looking for her saying "you betcha" as a .gif but had to settle ; )

ʚϊɞ Shelley ʚϊɞ Your reviews always make me LOL, Kelly. I think YOU should write a book.

message 6: by Ellen Gail (new) - added it

Ellen Gail So what if I like Hoarders AND nonfiction? I am a woman of many tastes (in reality TV.)

But for real, last time I watched Hoarders I ended up moving my fridge to clean behind it. So many dust bunnies.

Kelly (and the Book Boar) ʚϊɞ Shelley ʚϊɞ wrote: "Your reviews always make me LOL, Kelly. I think YOU should write a book."

Thanks for the compliment, but I think this is as close as I'll ever get to writing : )

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Ellen Gail wrote: "So what if I like Hoarders AND nonfiction? I am a woman of many tastes (in reality TV.)..."

Winner winner. Just be warned it reads like a novel - lots of dialogue/etc. that most biographies don't have.

message 9: by Ellen Gail (new) - added it

Ellen Gail Kelly (and the Book Boar) wrote: "Ellen Gail wrote: "So what if I like Hoarders AND nonfiction? I am a woman of many tastes (in reality TV.)..."

Dialogue heavy nonfiction can kind of go either way for me. We shall see. :)

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Ellen Gail wrote: "Dialogue heavy nonfiction can kind of go either way for me. We shall see. :) ..."

If nothing else, it made it read really fast : )

message 11: by Debbie (last edited Jan 10, 2019 03:20AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Debbie Oh you crack me up, Kelly. I agree with the comment that you should write a book. There’s nothing that I love more than a funny reviewer!

You did justice to this cool book. Yeah, I had the same complaints, but when I love a book I overlook everything bad. Your gifs are a riot, as usual.

Thanks mucho for the shout-out and the link to my review! And glad you liked the book too!

P.S. Great opening quote! Is that from the book? I don’t remember it and I’m thinking I would have...maybe it’s a Kelly original?

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Yes - EVERYTHING could be dismissed on this one because it was so fascinating.

You are so welcome and are the reason I decided to give this one a try : )

That quote is from the book and it will be my official line of defense when I come home from the next book sale I find ; )