Josh's Reviews > The Treasure Principle: Unlocking the Secret of Joyful Giving

The Treasure Principle by Randy Alcorn

Jan 20, 2012

liked it

Good principles here. This is a message I think all Christians (especially in the US) need to hear. I am saddened by how few Christians give, and how little they give, in this country. I have seen far more dedication from Christians in third-world countries and places where they are the strict minority. The principle is simple: don't hoard and store up treasures for yourself here, but store them up in heaven. Give them away to reach the lost and help the poor and needy.

This is a hard concept for many. Alcorn takes it to its full extent, advocating that Christians lead simpler lives, not wasting our excess on ourselves but instead opting to give that money away. It goes directly against our materialistic society today.

The book is a short and quick read. There is a lot of repetition (this could be summarized in one good sermon or stretched out into a series, etc) but that is to be expected. Alcorn does talk almost exclusively about money. It's important to remember that is the intended message of the book. Although I do agree with some that we should also give other "treasures" (our time, talents, etc) this particular book does not touch on that aspect too much. He makes it clear that it is the issue of giving money that we truly struggle with. We have to control our money, not let it control us.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Treasure Principle.