Senthil Kumaran's Reviews > Stranger in a Strange Land

Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein

Read 2 times. Last read December 15, 2018 to December 30, 2018.

Wow, what a book. It goes into multiple topics like being human, politics, religion, love, sex, community, spirituality, entrepreneurship, money, influence, negotiation, strategy and "understanding" of it all.

This gave a new word "grok" to English speaking people, which roughly means to "understand thoroughly" and becoming one with the concept.

One interesting thing about this science fiction is, it combined the real world concepts of business, stocks, politics, and ownership with imaginary situation where humans have already traveled to mars and there human of raised by martian among us. The details covering the rise of Mike to the status of a godman, and formation of his communion was fun read.

Just imagine how close is this quote "Thou art god, I am god. All that groks is god.” by Valentine Michael Smith to Sanskrit Verse "Tat Tvam Asi".

The character Jubal Harshaw, attributes that one can explain away everything by holding on solipsism, and pantheism.

I was impressed with Robert Heinlein covering so many topics. I really enjoyed it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stranger in a Strange Land.

July 21, 2014 – Shelved (Mass Market Paperback Edition)
July 21, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read (Mass Market Paperback Edition)
September 19, 2018 – Shelved as: own-... (Mass Market Paperback Edition)
December 15, 2018 – Started Reading
December 30, 2018 – Finished Reading
January 2, 2019 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Kirubakaran Check out "Time Enough for Love" too, one of my most favorites of Heinlein.