Jonathan's Reviews > The Cult of the Amateur: How Today's Internet Is Killing Our Culture

The Cult of the Amateur by Andrew Keen

it was ok

While Keen does make some interesting points, his constant railing against all aspects of Web 2.0 grows old. We get it. You don't like user-created content, at least when it is created by people other than yourself (more on this later). Keen might be trying to get us to rally to the cause of saving the Internet, but in the end one can't help but wonder if he is just a bitter man who missed the 2.0 boat.

As one can expect from the title of the book, he is not fond of amateurs, stating that professionals are far superior. Either he had his book edited by amateurs, or professionals aren't as great as he thinks they are, since I found at least 3 glaring typos or grammatical errors in the first 100 pages of the book. It was obvious that this book was rushed to print so everyone involved could cash in. The author's credibility suffers greatly as a result.

And the final kicker in all of this: while Keen has written about the evils of bloggers, Youtube and web tracking, all 3 are right there in plain view on his own website. I guess these things are only bad when other people are using them, not when you're trying to promote a 200-page book that costs $22.95. I'm just glad I got this one from the local library.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cult of the Amateur.

Started Reading