Helen's Reviews > The Confessions of Frannie Langton

The Confessions of Frannie Langton by Sara  Collins

liked it
bookshelves: arc, reviewed, boring, depressing, diversity, murder, mystery, historical

It took me ages to get through this book because I had to keep taking breaks and reading something else. The pace is very, very slow moving and it tackles some heavy issues but it's not the most interesting of storylines. So I struggled to read it, I had to keep taking breaks to read something else and then come back and read a bit more.

The story only picked up at the end when it turns to the actual trial but then that is just rushed through in a couple of chapters. Though since the trial itself only lasts a day and a half - a sham trial, the minds of the judge and jurors made up before they enter the room - it's actually a realistic representation. If there had been more of the events of that night or the things Frannie did when helping Langton with his experiments revealed at points through the book it might have added a bit more interest and life to the story. Most of it focuses on her obsession with Marguerite - something that never felt believable to me.

What I like most about this book is that Frannie is angry. She's not a kind-hearted, self-sacrificing good girl. She's angry at the way she's treated and she doesn't win people over with the kindness of her heart and you can believe it is quite possible she might actually have murdered her master and mistress.

I also liked that it goes in-depth into the overt sexism and racism prevalent at the time and the viewpoint from the slave feels realistic. I can feel Frannie's frustration at her situation coming off her in waves. An intelligent woman who would be happy with just a bit of free time to read a book every now and again, she is treated as a savage and a beast, as though she is not human, by everyone around her.

This book has a lot to say and it's worth reading for its viewpoint on race and slavery alone. I just found it too slow to hold my interest for long periods of reading and it's also a bit dreary and very depressing.

I received a free copy in return for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Confessions of Frannie Langton.

January 2, 2019 – Shelved