Heather's Reviews > Stars

Stars by Mary Lyn Ray

Jan 20, 2012

bookshelves: picture-books

Frazee and Ray explore all kinds of stars in this lively picture book. Frazee’s racially diverse cast of children playfully explore a variety of stars—homemade stars that lend to imaginative play, gold stars, flower stars that develop into edible treats like strawberries, and of course the most magical of all—the stars of the night sky. Whether flying through a storm of snowflake “stars” on a bright red sled, or cartwheeling across a sandy beach with starfish, these are energetic, independent and thoughtful kids. Perfect bedtime reading, though parents should be warned that the final magical illustrations will powerfully suggest a trip outside to view the majesty of the night sky.

Read my full review in the Spring 2012 issue of the New Mexico Journal of Reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stars.

Beth Nieman I just read this--such lovely illustrations!

Heather I know! I loved it too! I'm afraid that the reading level is going to be too low for LOE. :(

Beth Nieman I think you're right about that; however, that doesn't stop you from recommending it to people, buying it for your new grand baby, or reading it out loud to kids! :-)