Sue Moro's Reviews > Velveteen

Velveteen by Daniel Marks

Jan 20, 2012

bookshelves: favorites

This is a story of death, revenge, and forbidden love.

Daniel Marks' unique vision brings Purgatory to "life". There are vivid descriptions of rickety buildings created from a hodgepodge of items collected from "daylight", where the living dwell. Everything in Purgatory is dull, achingly gray, and the ground is covered in ash. I almost envisioned a cloud of it floating around me every time the story returned there!

The story follows the life, or rather death, of Velveteen "Velvet" Monroe. She's been killed by a serial killer nicknamed Bonesaw, and she's pissed!

The story opens with Velvet having snuck out of Purgatory, through one of the secret fissures that only a select few know about, and she's trashing the heck out of his house. She's determined to haunt him for the rest of his days as payback. When she sees he has another victim tied up, she's determined to find a way to save this girl from meeting the same fate that befell her.

I believed this was the main plot of the story, but there's a whole lot more going on in Purgatory, including a group of dissenters who don't like the way the place is being run, and trouble is brewing.

Velvet is the leader of a Salvage group who's job it is to retrieve wayward or trapped souls that may be held against their will. She and her team rescue a boy named Nick, and no matter that it's forbidden, nor how hard she tries to fight it, the two are drawn together by a passion that neither can deny.

Velvet is a very strong character, and she needs to be to survive being pulled in so many directions. She has a great group of people on her salvage team that she has come to rely on. All of the characters are well developed in this book. The world building is unique and thoroughly realized.

The plot moves at a very fast pace, building and building to a climactic finish.

I anxiously look forward to a sequel, and anything else this author dreams up!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Velveteen.

January 20, 2012 – Shelved
March 27, 2012 – Started Reading
April 2, 2012 –
page 70
April 3, 2012 –
page 110
April 6, 2012 –
page 215
48.1% "I am loving this book!"
April 10, 2012 – Finished Reading
June 6, 2012 – Shelved as: favorites

message 1: by Corine (new)

Corine Thank you for your review. Hopefully my copy of Velveteen will arrive tomorrow, so I can read it. I a very looking forward to it after seeing your review on Youtube!