Emily May's Reviews > 2019 on Goodreads

2019 on Goodreads by Various
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 2019 on Goodreads.

January 1, 2019 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)

message 1: by Casey (new)

Casey I highly recommend experiencing Their Eyes Were Watching God on audio - Ruby Dee's narration is perfection, and the vernacular can be difficult on the page.

message 2: by Emily May (new) - added it

Emily May Casey wrote: "I highly recommend experiencing Their Eyes Were Watching God on audio - Ruby Dee's narration is perfection, and the vernacular can be difficult on the page."

I will try. I must admit I'm not great with audio - I find it difficult to keep paying attention and not zone out - but I'm willing to give it a shot. Thanks for the tip! :)

message 3: by Jo (new)

Jo Hi, Emily May! First I would like to say that I appreciate your reviews. They always make me think of the book in a different light. Second I am hoping you can help me get this to work. I can’t post to 2019 on Goodreads and cannot figure out how to make it work. Any help would be most appreciated!

message 4: by Emily May (new) - added it

Emily May Jo wrote: "Hi, Emily May! First I would like to say that I appreciate your reviews. They always make me think of the book in a different light. Second I am hoping you can help me get this to work. I can’t pos..."

Thank you, Jo. I'd like to help, but what do you mean about being unable to post? Sorry if I'm being dense.

message 5: by Jo (new)

Jo I am unable to update or add anything. I see that other people have added goals or lists for 2019, but there is no option for me to add anything to this book. It isn’t working like a normal book where I can post a review. I just thought perhaps there was a trick to adding info here.

message 6: by Emily May (new) - added it

Emily May Jo wrote: "I am unable to update or add anything. I see that other people have added goals or lists for 2019, but there is no option for me to add anything to this book. It isn’t working like a normal book wh..."

That's so strange. No, there's no trick. I was able to add a review as I usually do. If you go here, is there no "edit" button at the top right?: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 7: by Silvia (new)

Silvia I hope you will give this translation a try: https://www.amazon.com/Iliad-New-Tran...
I am planning on reading it this Year, too. It' s the first translation of the illiad by a woman.

Ad Rocks Socks (semi hiatus) Jo wrote: "I am unable to update or add anything. I see that other people have added goals or lists for 2019, but there is no option for me to add anything to this book. It isn’t working like a normal book wh..."

Hi Jo, I faced the same problem when I tried to do so on the app -- however, I'm able to review it from my laptop without any problem. :)

Daisebeeyourself My goal is to finish squirt a whole bottle of whipped cream into my mouth…oh,you mean reading well that's to finish a Harry Potter bok in 2 weeks sounds hard,huh.

message 10: by Albert Elnen (new)

Albert Elnen A different variety of interests. I do enjoy reading your reviews.

message 11: by Jackie (new)

Jackie Great list!! I love reading the classics! Tons of fun! I really recommend Anne bronte The Tenant book. She’s lesser known than her sisters but a great author who really illustrated mental cruelty and coercion in the 1800s! (Although that being said not a fun book! Lol)

message 12: by Emily May (new) - added it

Emily May Jackie wrote: "Great list!! I love reading the classics! Tons of fun! I really recommend Anne bronte The Tenant book. She’s lesser known than her sisters but a great author who really illustrated mental cruelty a..."

I LOVE The Tenant of Wildfell Hall! I'm not sure why Anne is less loved than Charlotte and Emily because she is fierce :) Maybe her books initially got less buzz because they were so... outspoken? I find her the most openly feminist of the three sisters.

Sarah ( A GIRL WHO LIVES IN BOOKS ) the witer of the witch and return of the theif

message 14: by Hayley (new)

Hayley Stenger When I read "Their Eyes were Watching God", I read it aloud when they were speaking in dialect. That helped me a lot. Good luck! My copy of "The Winter of the Witch" should come this week!

Rosi massyel Abreu vargas Way es h increiblee

message 16: by Kacie (new)

Kacie I have had trouble with Their Eyes Were Watching God, and I think next attempt I will follow along with my eyeballs while listening to the audio

message 17: by Karen (new)

Karen Just curious why you picked atlas shrugged over the fountainhead. I found the latter both more readable and more interesting.

message 18: by Emily May (new) - added it

Emily May Karen wrote: "Just curious why you picked atlas shrugged over the fountainhead. I found the latter both more readable and more interesting."

I read The Fountainhead some years ago and I wasn't a fan. I guess I just want to read Atlas Shrugged because it's considered her "magnum opus" and is always the one listed on "must read before you die" lists.

message 19: by Kenny (new) - added it