Lisa (Bookworm Lisa)'s Reviews > My Heart Belongs in the Blue Ridge: Laurel's Dream

My Heart Belongs in the Blue Ridge by Pepper D. Basham

bookshelves: 2019, christian-fiction, historical-fiction, net-galley, received-to-review, romance

A culture shock awaits Jonathan Taylor as he enters the rustic small town set in the Appalachian Mountains. He has come seeking redemption from an overbearing father, not being "fit" to serve in WWI and the squashed dreams of becoming a Doctor. He needs to feel as if he is making a difference, somewhere.

Life turns out to be different than he expected. Instead of finding a society of "backward" people, he realizes that joy doesn't come from possessions, but how you live your life. The best example comes from a young woman he meets right away, Laurel McAdams. She has a sparkle in her eye and a smile on her face even though her father disappoints her and her family lives in a small cabin.

The lessons of joy, love, compassion, forgiveness, and understanding are priceless. I love the message that happiness doesn't come from circumstances but from joy and love and belief in God. Joy can be found in a shack.

I loved the description of the town, the beliefs of the townspeople, and a simpler way of life. This book is Christian fiction. It is clean with kissing.

Source: I requested a copy from Netgalley. Thanks to Barbour Books for accepting my request. All thoughts and opinions expressed are my own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Heart Belongs in the Blue Ridge.

January 1, 2019 – Started Reading