Bev Sykes's Reviews > Girl Missing

Girl Missing by Tess Gerritsen

Jan 20, 2012

liked it
Read in January, 2012

This is Gerritsen in her pre-Rizzoli and Isles days. It is Gerritsen not quite sure if she wants to be a romance writer or a writer of medical thrillers (fortunately for us, she went in the thriller direction!). Interestingly, I "read" this book as an audio book and there is an attached interview with Gerritsen at the end. Throughout this book, I kept comparing it to Nancy Drew mysteries -- it's rather lightweight, but still gripping. The interviewer asks her if she had been influenced by Nancy Drew as a girl and she acknowledges that she was very influenced by the young teenage detective.

This book, which is a republished, re-named early novel called "Peggy Sue Got Murdered," follows medical examiner Kat Novak, trying to track down the cause of some mysterious deaths, which she gradually comes to believe are caused by some bad drugs leaked from a local drug lab. Along the way there is a romantic entanglement with the guy who runs the lab, his hunt for his lost daughter, a few more murders, and a solution which involves someone much too close to Kat.

She describes this as her "crossover novel," which takes her out of the realm of romance and into the realm of mystery...and aren't we all so glad for it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girl Missing.