Bex's Reviews > With the End in Mind: Dying, Death, and Wisdom in an Age of Denial

With the End in Mind by Kathryn Mannix

This book came recommended by the #YouMeBigC podcast, within their episode on ‘death’ (not passing on, etc), and also in Instagram @thecancerchrons reckoned it was one of the best books she’d ever read, so I downloaded it from the library!

I found it powerful, gentle, hard at times, and comedic at others. Considering I finished reading it the day before I was having a spinal biopsy to check for mets, a particularly challenging read, but within society we think that we can evade death, whereas, as people joke ‘death and taxes - can’t be avoided’ ... and the more we avoid talking about it, the harder it gets - especially for those panicking about dying, and the family/friends around them who don’t know the wishes.

I’m part of a FB group on death and dying, tied to Uni Of Winchester MSc - having spoken at the conference about representations of death in WW2 propaganda posters - very limited on the home front, more drastic for the armed forces - and stayed in the group as I’m interested in how the digital (especially our footprint online) impacts our notions of death - I’m still Facebook friends with people who have died - some of whom have undertaken the official FB process of memorialisation, and others where family maintain access (or the account just lies dormant - except for birthday reminders) ...

I may also look further at Death Cafe, and https://www.deathlife.org.uk/. I prepared my will a couple of years ago, and I’m planning on talking to a vicar friend about what I can do to sort for funeral, etc. Hopefully I won’t need them for many years, but hearing how another friend has been left trying to sort out a relatives muddled effects - being prepared does not equate with giving up!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read With the End in Mind.

January 1, 2019 – Started Reading
January 1, 2019 – Shelved
January 6, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Kathryn (new) - added it

Kathryn Mannix Wow. What courage you have, to be facing such a serious illness and yet to read a book about death. I am utterly humbled.
I'm glad that you found it gentle, and comedic at times, despite the hard information it offers. I tried to write as though I was sitting alongside each reader, simply telling stories and chatting, so readers feel 'chatted to' rather than 'instructed' - I hope that is part of what makes it gentle.
Hope the scan helps to solve whatever the current problem might be, and that you have comfort with peace of mind soon.

message 2: by Bex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bex Thanks for responding on here too Kathryn. Unfortunately it's spinal mets (though not liver) - though is VERY tiny! Chatting felt about right - I keep recommending the book to others!

message 3: by Kathryn (new) - added it

Kathryn Mannix Sorry it wasn't an all-clear, and hope treatment makes you more comfortable super-soon.