Marielle Brouwer's Reviews > Midnight Blue

Midnight Blue by L.J. Shen

Its been a long time since I stayed up late reading. I just realised that now. Its 1.49 in the morning and I just finished it. Midnight Blue did it... I stayed up way to late to be functional in the morning. Thank you for making me feel, giving me feels, whatever with feelings L.J. Shen 😘

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Midnight Blue.

Quotes Marielle Liked

L.J. Shen
“She was warm and silky. Delicious, really. I wanted to take her like a drug. All at once, in one gulp. I wanted to overdose on her like cocaine, and heroin, and crack, knowing the destruction I was willingly inhaling into my body. Because Indie, like drugs, was a temporary fix.”

L.J. Shen
“When I look at you, I see something broken that isn’t worth fixing. And you look at me like I’m a cheap thing to replace the expensive one that’s been stolen from you. See, we’re all vases. And you’re the one scattered on the floor, shattered beyond repair. So I’ll let someone else pick you up. It’s really that simple. Have fun with your temporary glue.”

L.J. Shen
“Alex Winslow was both an addict and an addiction. Pure and wild.”

L.J. Shen
“Love is just a fraud, Excuse me for being goddamn bold, You asked me to believe, As if I had some fucks to give.”

L.J. Shen
“My soul was dying. It wasn’t an exaggeration. It bled the last of my hopes and dreams onto the sticky floor, smeared in cigarette ash and pussy juice. My mobile chimed with a text message, forcing me to peel my gaze from the ceiling.”

L.J. Shen
“Because when you’re a rock star and make a crap ton of money, everyone wants a piece of the pie. A pie you baked. With ingredients you bought.”

L.J. Shen
“Me, I hated Suits. Loathed them. Because when you’re a rock star and make a crap ton of money, everyone wants a piece of the pie. A pie you baked. With ingredients you bought. None of the Suits had given a shit about me when I sat, day in and day out, outside King’s Cross tube station with Tania, my acoustic Tatay, and played, and begged, and shoved demos into people’s hands just to watch them slam-dunking them to the nearest bin. None of the Suits were there when I knocked on doors in the pouring rain, and pleaded in the bitter snow, and bargained, and argued, to get myself heard. They also weren’t there when I got booed in Glastonbury three years in a row opening for bigger bands, or when mostly-empty beer cans were thrown my way for a good laugh, or when a drunk girl puked on my only pair of shoes trying to tell me I sounded like a Morrissey knockoff.”

L.J. Shen
“They weren’t there when I sold my soul to some other Suits,”

L.J. Shen
“Told you my soul was dying. Or maybe it simply belonged to other people. Either way, I needed a new one. Unfortunately, it was one of the rare things my money couldn’t buy.”

L.J. Shen
“The doorbell rang. Maybe God had heard me and sent a bodiless cunt. Another thing I’d pay good money for and wasn’t for sale—note to self: Google pocket pussy. Apparently, it is a thing.”

L.J. Shen
“Wanker had the manners of a used tampon.”

“Lord McCuntson,”

L.J. Shen
“This time, the record company had asked for, “catchy, fun, bubbly, with a hint of rock ‘n’ roll.” So of course my inner rebel wanted to dump a bunch of fourteen-minute tracks about politics and global warming onto their table. I didn’t even like politics,”

L.J. Shen
“Anyway, the point was, Lucas wasn’t going to screw my hanny—hot nanny.”

L.J. Shen
“Lucas sneered. “Let’s try again, muppet. Officer Cokehead won’t allow Indie to breathe without him around. Apparently, we’re no longer allowed to hang out because of his small dick syndrome.” “Small dick!” Alex exclaimed, as if Lucas just told him the earth was flat. “My cock already made more money than you this year and will soon need a full staff to manage his career. Don’t you fucking disrespect him.” Was I really standing there listening to three grown-up British men discussing Alex’s penis?”

L.J. Shen
“I was talking out of my arse at this point. My explanation sounded artsy-fartsy at best and delusional mumbo jumbo at worst, but that was the beauty of being a musician. No one could dispute your process, even if it essentially involved sitting on a Chinese takeout joint’s rooftop, stark naked, balancing a fruit bowl on your head while singing “We Are the World”—”

L.J. Shen
“Everyone can—and does—see my scars. No exceptions. My soul is empty, because I whored it out. I”

L.J. Shen
“If you want me to believe you about not wanting me to fuck you raw, you should probably stop looking at me like that. Like you’re already mine,”

L.J. Shen
“Know what the difference is between you and me, Stardust? You watch me, but I see you. And what I see is your truth.”

L.J. Shen
“You look at me with dynamite in your eyes, waiting for me to light up the match and finally set you on fire.”

L.J. Shen
“Life is full of secrets, and narrow-minded people, and sugar-coated, empty conversations that hold no weight. What’s real is what’s inside us. What’s important is what we feel.”

L.J. Shen
“All you have to do is not fuck it up. Is it really that hard?” Was he kidding? Of course it was that hard. Did he think the entire zip code of Hollywood wanted to be addicted to painkillers, alcohol, cocaine, and plastic surgery? Did he reckon I was just so bored with my perfect, wholesome life? Finding happiness as an intelligent person was like finding a real-life unicorn.”

L.J. Shen
“I put her under my spell, to make sure she was mine. Scribbling onto her the notes only I could play. Now that Tania was gone, Stardust was my main instrument. And it saddened me, because I knew I had to break her, too.”

L.J. Shen
“So you took a match. Lit us up. And now we burn forever.”

L.J. Shen
“I don’t want your yesterday. And would never expect your tomorrow. But if we can have today, I will show you what love tastes like. And maybe, just maybe, we’ll forget about all our sorrows.”

L.J. Shen
“Once upon a time, a mere mortal fell in love with a rock god. You probably know this is not a fairy tale by now. Mortals and gods don’t mix.”

L.J. Shen
“Still, I knew rehab was important. So I listened. I went to every class. I held hands with strangers. With suburban mummies who’d gotten addicted to prescription pills, and a preacher’s son who’d fallen into the arms of heroin, and a Russian oligarch’s daughter who, like me, had snorted pounds and pounds of cocaine to numb the feeling that the world was closing in on you from all angles. I wrote letters to my family and friends. Angry letters. Apologetic letters. Funny letters. Then I burned them all. I couldn’t write Stardust shite, though. Everything I had to say to her—every single groveling word—had to be said in person.”

L.J. Shen
“In my mind, we were two asteroids orbiting around each other. I thought I was the sun and you were earth, but now I see I got it all mixed up. You were always the sun. And even now, when I look at you, I don’t see regret and pain and suffering. I see the biggest opportunity, the sweetest promise, the road I should be taking.”

L.J. Shen
“That’s the thing about broken princes. Not all of them have to die. If their soul is whole, they sometimes survive. Sometimes, they even grow up to be kings. Mine did.”

L.J. Shen
“Alex Winslow was beautiful in a way storms were—only from afar. Just like them, he had the power to sweep and ruin you, two things I was too busy surviving to entertain.”

L.J. Shen
“When I finally lay my hands on you—and make no mistakes, Stardust, I will—you will be crying, all right. My name. Over. And. Over. Again.”

L.J. Shen
“What do you want from me, Alex?” Everything. I want everything, and then all the things you’ve already given away to other people. I want them back, too.”

L.J. Shen
“Welcome to Random Acts of Meanness. It’s just like kindness, but for cunts.”

L.J. Shen
“Flaws were intimate. Telling. Pure. Indigo was pretty. Like a wasted sunset, beautiful in a taken-for-granted sort of way.”

L.J. Shen
“He was supposed to leave six months ago and canceled for personal reasons. If he cancels again, he’ll have to pay thirty million dollars to the production companies. The insurance will never pay up, considering the cause of termination was him swimming in enough cocaine to bake a five-tier wedding cake.”

L.J. Shen
“Los Angeles was like a B-Grade prostitute. She let anyone in, looked less than average, and once inside, you realized there was too much traffic and that whoever’d been there before you had left a mess. Add to this the pollution and white-toothed starlets who wanted to ride your anything—be it your knob, reputation, or black American Express”

L.J. Shen
“She shrugged. “Lucas gave me his laptop until the end of the tour.” Red cloth. Angry bull. Clenched fists. Don’t kill Lucas. He’s not worth the jail time.”

L.J. Shen
“Every book has a soul, the soul of the person who wrote it and the soul of those who read it and dream about it” – Carlos Ruiz Zafon, The Angel’s Game.”

L.J. Shen
Indie; I think the ten-minute song is going to be really good.

Jenna: I hope you didn't tell him that.

Indie: No, I told him it's unmarketable.

Hudson: And what did he say?

Indie: He said I sounded like a Suit., specifically like Jenna Holden, and that Jenna Holden was hired to get him Balmain deals and negotiate fat deals with record labels, not produce his next album. He also said he'd once caught you nodding your head at a Maroon 5 song, and the fact that you're not dead to him after that is a miracle in itself, so you should not push your luck. Again, his words, not mine.>/b>

L.J. Shen
I hope she has an STD. I hope she has all the STDs known to man, and a few new ones she'd created all on her own.

L.J. Shen
“If you leave me," he said, "you take my soul with you.”

L.J. Shen
“Got us another ugly decoration for the bathroom. Can I come back now? I'd really like to save the therapy money for when our kid finds out I was at the Grammys when she was born.”

L.J. Shen
“I'd been trying to get high off of bath salts unsuccessfully for twenty minutes when Lucas walked in and shut the door behind him.

Yeah, I was using again. Or at least trying. Shit, I wasn't even good at being a drug addict. How embarrassing was that?

"Don't even think about it." I sniffed, trying to light up the little rocks of salt. How the fuck could you get high on them? I needed new mates. New, young, loser mates who'd teach me how to get high on pathetic things.”

L.J. Shen
“Feeling wanted and desired was addictive, and he doped me. If you want to put a spell on someone, make them feel special.”

L.J. Shen
“There’s strength in choosing kindness even when you’re being dragged into the well of malice. I’d”

L.J. Shen
“He was there, in front of me, his face so naked and raw, and at that moment, I didn’t care that he’d break me… We needed each other. Now. On this tour. Like air, and oxygen, and the pulse beneath our flesh.”

L.J. Shen
“Everyone can—and does—see my scars. No exceptions. My soul is empty, because I whored it out.”

L.J. Shen
“Money is also the beginning of the end to art, the kiss of death to creativity, and the cancer to integrity.”

January 1, 2019 – Started Reading