Lyndz's Reviews > A Perfect Blood

A Perfect Blood by Kim Harrison

Jan 20, 2012

bookshelves: witches-wizards, mypod-audiobook, reviewed
Read from April 19 to 26, 2012

I dub thee, Kim Harrison, Queen of Idiom.

I am a sucker for a well-placed idiom. I constantly find myself cracking up when I read this series and this book was no exception.

I really love this series. I feel about the hallows series the same way that I felt about Nancy Drew when I was little. I don’t care if Kim Harrison writes 1000 books, I plan on reading them all.
That being said, this is one of my least favorite books in this series.

I should say right up front that this series is definitely not for everyone. If you don’t like borderline cheesy fantasy characters, or urban fantasy in general you won’t like this book. If you are not a fan of cursing (literal and figurative) you won’t like these books.

So what didn’t I like about this book?
My biggest issue; I wanted more AL!! Yes, I hated the demon in the first couple books, but I kind of like him now, like a lot.

There was a lot of nothingness going on. A lot of running around not actually accomplishing anything. Rachel had a bracelet of charmed silver around her wrist for at least half of the book that prevented her from using magic at all. I don’t know about you guys, but the whole reason I love this series is BECAUSE OF Rachel & her magic. And sadly there is not a whole lot of epic magic in this book. The plot was ok, but it didn’t have that big “ta-daaa!” at the end that I am used to with the other books. I guess I was just kind of left going “oh, that was it?” I think that this book is leading into something though. Hopefully something with lots of demons and smoke and sparkles and magic.

Even though this is one of my least favorite books in the series, I still had a good time reading it. I love the world that Harrison creates that is The Hallows and “post-turn” Cinci, and I can’t wait until another installment is released so that I can go back there. I think the fact that I am in love with this world, coupled with my fondness for the characters is what really saved this particular book for me. In my opinion Harrison could do no wrong with this series (aside from killing off Ivy or Jenks or Rachel).

To sum up, I liked A Perfect Blood, but it wasn’t my favorite. If you are a fan of the series, don’t miss it, but if you have not read any of the other books, definitely don’t start with this one!
3 & ½ Stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Perfect Blood.

04/19 page 30
7.0% "This series is my guilty pleasure."
04/26 page 437
100.0% "Finished will write review soon"
12/05 marked as: read
show 2 hidden updates…

Catie I'm excited to see another Hallows fan on here. :) The next book takes place in the EVER AFTER! I'm excited! This one was a bit of a let down for me too, but I'll probably never stop reading these. Although I think she's said that there will be fourteen books total.

Lyndz I didn't realize you are a fan too. :) I just love this series.

Does it really?! That should be awesome. I hope we get to see a lot of NEWT.

Catie Yes, this was my first urban fantasy love and I'll probably always love it. The next book is actually called Ever After! I think Newt will probably play a large role.

Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder* I agree with this review - well written book and I love all the HOllows!! We needed more Al/demon stuff though and even if not that, where were her powers? Argh. I wanted her to return from the bracelet showing her strength and magic but instead she seemed to relying on help and getting hurt every step of the way. Great stuff still though, can't wait till the next one.

Lyndz @ Catie, I think this was one of my first urban fantasies. I have been following the series for quite a while too. Thanks for the link, I added it to my tbr!

Thanks Erin! Great to talk to another Hallows fan. Hopefully the next book will make up for it. :)

Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder* Yes here's hoping. I genuinely love all the books so no big complaints :)