C.M.'s Reviews > The Healing

The Healing by Jonathan Odell

Jan 20, 2012

Jonathan Odell’s sophomore novel is a genuine epic filled with round characters and a sense of place, the sort of book that just doesn’t get written anymore. Just when you think novels have nothing left to tell us about the past and how it connects to our present, a book like The Healing comes along.

Young protagonist Granada and the seemingly ancient antagonist Polly Shine do a dance around each other that pulls the reader in and works that magic so necessary to story—the kind of magic that makes you forget you're turning pages covered in ink. There’s plenty of meat to this tale of the Old South and enough new ideas and concepts about slavery and spirituality and being true to oneself to warrant the read.

I would encourage picking up View From Delphi too. Odell’s career focus seems to be holding up a time of discomfort in this country for us all to observe but doing so with a kind of humor and mercy and freshness lacking in many historicals. I very much look forward to his next offering.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Healing.