Jen Fabico's Reviews > Midnight Sun

Midnight Sun by Stephenie Meyer

Jan 20, 2012

bookshelves: 2012-50-book-pledge, favourites, fantasy, paranormal, romance, took-me-longer-than-usual-to-read, ya, series-collection
Read from January 22 to April 29, 2012 — I own a copy

Book number 22 in my 2012 Reading Challenge of 50 books is Midnight Sun by Stephanie Meyer. Midnight Sun is part of the Twilight series and is more often referred as book 1.5 as it is from Edward Cullen's point of view. It was originally supposed to be release as a book before it was leaked. It is now available as a PDF on Stephanie Meyer's website as a partial draft which she will not be completing.

Midnight Sun is a retelling of most of the first installment, Twilight, through the perspective of Edward Cullen. Through this different point of view, we are able to explore the depths of the Cullen family as well as the secretive ways of Edward, which is not always understood by reading the other instalments within the Twilight series. I, as a reader, was able to explore all of the small intricacies of the character which seemed to hold the power, the strength and the details of what really happened behind the scenes.

As carefully as Edward explored and adjusted Bella's classical lullaby on the piano, I was really able to gauge the strength and willpower behind the everyday mundane experiences. Each tiny note on the piano was reflective of the everyday scenarios within Forks, Port Angeles and the other areas they visited. And one by one, as each of those small and insignificant notes and experiences fell into place, we were left with a beautiful and orchestrated narrative as opposed to the cacophony that Edward anticipated for the future.

Reading took away all secrets and left every suspicion as predictable as an open book. However, that may have been one of the most enjoyable aspects to this book. The entire narrative visits all of the everyday moments that we as people take for granted in our lives --leaving the house anticipating for something, anything interesting to happen today, getting to the destination and having to make small talk with those who surround you, returning home with that sullen feeling of disappointment, and occasionally, being surprised by something unexpected. This book visits the entire spectrum of a mundane life, but what makes it so interesting? Perhaps because instead of being left in the dark to assume another person's thoughts, we are able to view it clearly through the eyes of a dangerous stranger.

Taking me a longer time to finish this book, I found myself compelled to do one thing while recognizing another thing:

1) As odd as it may seem, I found myself compelled to open Twilight and to read both books simultaneously so I could grasp the entire feel of situations from two characters. It does seem quite over the top, doesn't it? Perhaps that's why I didn't do it and perhaps others have already done this. If this is you, I am really intrigued to know how this may have changed your experience as a reader. Please get in touch with me to discuss!

2) As I approached the half way point of this book, I found myself reminiscing over The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt, another books which I really enjoyed as dull and mundane as the events were. And perhaps I am coming to learn that my taste may be drier than I had thought.

There are so many moments that we take for granted in our everyday lives and it is interesting how a fantastical imitation of this monotony has the ability to churn what we once perceived as slow, boring and lethargic to mysterious, compelling and ostentatious. And perhaps similar to that classical lullaby left unfinished, we will never know the right end until we have experienced many possibilities and exhausted our avenues until it just "fits". And then that will truly be the end.

Overall, I am rating this book 5 stars out of 5. Truly, I must admit that it doesn't deserve a 5. However, although it did take me several months to read, I did find myself compelled and intrigued. I also appreciated the extensive use of vocabulary, which Meyer usually practices in her books. In addition, I was obsessed with reflection as I read this book and not many books have me reflecting the more I read. And that is usually a great sign of a book --to appreciate its contents but to be actively stirred as well. One of the downfalls is that it is an incomplete draft and I truly wish that Meyer had not given up as discouraging it is to have so much of your hard work leaked. But I commend her for picking up the pieces to be willing enough to share what she had.

But there you have it: 5/5!

Until next time,

JFab

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Midnight Sun.

01/22/2012 page 5
02/28/2012 page 10
4.0% "Slowly but surely, this book will eventually be read. Hopefully before the end of the year. Digitals just don't read the same as hardbacks."
04/08/2012 page 15
6.0% "There must be an easier way to read this book without printing it..."
04/27/2012 page 209
79.0% "Her heart fluttered; my dead heart suddenly felt warmer."
show 10 hidden updates…