Linda Martin's Reviews > The Night Circus

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

bookshelves: 2019, fantasy, england, families, magical-realism, fiction, popsugar-reading-challenge-2019
Recommended for: writers, so they can be challenged by it

I'm sure this book has already been reviewed a million times, or nearly so, but I'll add my voice to the cacophony of voices praising this book. Though I, as a Christian, have reservations about the divination in this book (divination is forbidden in the Torah) I thought the book was well written, well constructed, and fascinating.

I love magical realism and unusual circumstances. The characters were deep and mysterious, and though I don't classify this book as a mystery there was plenty of mystery to go around. The main mystery being - what game were they playing, and how would it end?

I wanted to classify this as art, design, and creativity. The construction of the circus, not only the very strange way it was constructed and operated, but the entrancing way it was created and the word pictures that brought it to life, are artistic and imaginative beyond what you'd find in any ordinary novel. This took design to a new height and crowned it with fantastic artistry.

No wonder then, that this is such a popular book. I've heard some say they didn't care for this book but I can't imagine why. The story is every bit deserving of the praise it has received from so many.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Circus.

December 31, 2018 – Shelved