Paul's Reviews > Yes Please

Yes Please by Amy Poehler

liked it
bookshelves: read_all2019, read_libraryaudiobook2019, read_nonfiction2019

I listened to Yes Please on audiobook and I think that is the required format for this memoir. She has a bunch of guest voice actors and actresses on with her and the jokes land much better than the book version. I wasn't all that interested in Amy Poehler, to be honest, I watched Parks and Recreation through the entire 7 seasons, but I wouldn't call it a favorite show of mine. My main decision to listen to this is to learn more about how a female comedian dealt with a male-dominated industry. I was not disappointed with this book because she does talk about the latent sexism in comedy and Hollywood. What was surprising for me to find out is how much I learned about work ethic. It is the day in and day out grind for comedians and people in Hollywood to get anywhere. She had to do her time, years of living rough, and failures. Those are the types of memoirs I like, people that fail but still become successful because hopefully, that will be me. Anyway, a good listen, nothing amazing, I had a few laughs and became a larger fan.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Yes Please.

December 31, 2018 – Started Reading