Kirstin's Reviews > Unfamiliar Waters

Unfamiliar Waters by Andrew  Grey

liked it

As a somewhat mystery/romance with a bit of an age gap, I thought this was pretty well done in general.

Garrett Wreckley is a cop whose lost his husband and has turned to work to take his mind off of his life. When even his job gets to be too much, he's forced to take a month off. After deciding to rent a boat and cruise the Caribbean, he ends up a bit off course and stops on a small island. In the light of day, he sees a figure on the beach.

22 year old Nigel has lived on the island for the last 11 years with his brother and his Aunt. After their parents death, this small island is all that they know. But Garrett starts suspecting that there is something fishy going on when every time a bell rings, Nigel has to get home or he'll be in trouble. And for some strange reason, none of the villagers come to their side of the island.

This kind romantic vacation getaway story of sorts turned into a murder mystery, but one in which the hero is basically bulletproof. There was plenty of action, but never really cause for anxiety. As far as the romance goes, it was a pretty quick insta-love, but I kind of liked the way Nigel and Garrett were with each other.

"Its like there were two sunrises each day, one in the sky and the second in my heart when I saw you."

"You're a poet."

I definitely felt like there was more than just a 7 year age gap between them, and there were a few times when Nigel felt so innocent and sheltered that I was worried it wasn't going to work for me, but in the end I enjoyed their story. I was definitely entertained and was happy with the way things ended.

*Galley copy provided in exchange for an honest review. Cross posted to http://gaybook.reviews/ *

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unfamiliar Waters.

December 31, 2018 – Started Reading