Maribeth B.'s Reviews > Till We Have Faces

Till We Have Faces by C.S. Lewis

Read 2 times. Last read December 31, 2018 to January 11, 2019.

"I know now, Lord, why you utter no answer. You are yourself the answer. Before your face questions die away. What other answer would suffice?" And so the long, torturous journey of Orual, Queen of Glome ends--on a note of hope and the joy-filled revelation that all her emotional suffering had its answer in the God of the Mountain.

I didn't really know what to expect with this book, other than that it was basically a work of fanfiction (yes, even C.S. Lewis wrote fanfiction!) based on the ancient myth of Cupid and Psyche. Narrated by Psyche's older, physically unattractive, yet deeply intelligent sister Orual, it's a far darker and grittier story than any of the Narnia books. But it's also deeply personal and convicting. More than once throughout the story I saw myself in Orual--in her fears, her resentments, her motivations. But oh, the ending! The dramatic way she realized that she wasn't the martyr of this story after all and yet, in spite of everything, the recipient of an overwhelming and amazing grace...it was breathtaking.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Till We Have Faces.

Finished Reading
December 31, 2018 – Started Reading
December 31, 2018 – Shelved
January 6, 2019 –
50.0% "So far, much darker than any C.S. Lewis stories I've ever read--but that's not at all a bad thing. Orual's blunt honesty about her feelings and resentments towards the gods are equal parts shocking and understandable. I feel more sympathy for her than anything else."
January 9, 2019 –