tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE's Reviews > 25 Quadri della Collezione Cavellini

25 Quadri della Collezione Cavellini by Guglielmo Achille Cavellini

bookshelves: artists-books
Recommended for: stuck-up art critics & everybody else

I shd be able to distinguish my reviews in some way like: written while sick, written while happy, written while drunk. This latter is the case now. I feel like I'm rediscovering Cavellini. He was an art collector but I seriously doubt that he had any of these paintings in his collection (I cd check on line but I won't right now). I imagine that this group of paintings is perhaps a group that he reveres the most.

The repros are of paintings by Cimabue, Giotto, Paolo Uccello, Beato Angelico, Piero Della Francesca, Mantegna, Giorgione, Botticelli, Michelangelo, Leonardo, Raffaello, Caravaggio, El Greco, Rembrandt, Francisco Goya, Manet, Vincent Van Gogh, Paul Cezanne, Monet, Renoir, Picasso, Modigliani, Mondrian, Miro, Kandinsky.

As w/ many things I seem to like these days, this bk strikes me as highly original precisely b/c of the way that it uses previosuly existing material to define a new relationship. Cavellini loves & appreciates these paintings & inserts himself into their history by creating a fictive relationship between himself & the paintings & the painters. His letters to the painters are handwritten in Italian & typed out & translated in the back of the bk in English, French, & German. His letter to Cimabue is as follows:

"Brescia, September 11, 1289 - Dear Cimabue, the kindness of a friend who has occasion to pass through Assisi allows me to send you this color reproduction of the large crucifixion you so generously had delivered to me in ex[ch]ange for that small painting of my own. Of all the works of your younger years, this is the piece I like the most. Now, though, I myself bear the cross of the problem of where to put it. It's so enormous that I can't hang it at the head of my bed and I don't want to leave it in the cellar since with time it might begin to deteriorate. I'd hoped that the local bishop would agree to hold it or me in deposit, but the half-smiles that flickered across his face were clearly a way of telling me that the work is not much to his liking. So I've decided to give it back to you. If the idea suits you, I'll bring it to you personally and take advantage of the occasion to choose some smaller work. Let me know when it's best for me to come; I wouldn't want to distract you from your work on the frescoes for the upper basilica at St. Francis'. I hope you'll excuse me for creating so many problems, let me hear from you soon. best wishes, GAC."

Marvelous, eh? The "DECLARATION" at the beginning of the bk reads:

"The museums, art galleries, and private persons who receive this new exhibition of mine are to consider it to have been realized and installed in their exhibition spaces or living rooms and in the future they will be mentioned in my biographical notes."

Being in the category of "private persons" who have (in some sense) "installed" this bk in my "living room", I reckon I may be somewhere in Cavellini's biographical notes. Dunno. Regardless, Cavellini is in mine by virtue of this review. Love you Cav.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 25 Quadri della Collezione Cavellini.

Finished Reading