Dale Jr.'s Reviews > The Big Hunger

The Big Hunger by John Fante

Jan 19, 2012

bookshelves: short-story, fiction, 4-star

As it has been said, this is not Fante's best work. However, even though this is true, there are stories, sentences, and simple descriptions in this collection which leave me breathless. Fante has become on of my favorite writers over the past year and a half and I can't seem to get enough of him. I know I'm devouring his words quickly, and I will be saddened to see the platter finished when I read his last words.

For those of you unfamiliar with Fante, do not start with this. Begin with The Road to Los Angeles or, if you don't worry about chronology, Ask the Dust, his most famous work.

The Big Hunger is a book for those established Fante fans wanting to devour every bit he had to offer. We see immature sketches scattered among incredible, well-polished short stories. "Mary Osaka, I Love You" stood out in my mind as a heart-wrenchingly beautiful tale.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Big Hunger.

Quotes Dale Liked

John Fante
“Ask the dust on the road! Ask the Joshua trees standing alone where the Mojave begins. Ask them about Camilla Lopez, and they will whisper her name.”
John Fante, The Big Hunger

page 143
page 175
page 204
page 204
63.75% "Some of the most incredible sentences I have ever read are contained within this book."
January 26, 2012 –
January 28, 2012 – Finished Reading
September 14, 2012 – Shelved as: short-story
September 20, 2012 – Shelved as: fiction
October 13, 2012 – Shelved as: 4-star

Lina Malink Ummm, so thanks for giving me this one to start with...

Dale Jr. Kimberly wrote: "Ummm, so thanks for giving me this one to start with..."

It's still good. Read it.

Lina Malink Buddy: [drunk] I know I sound like a broken record but we are buddies, you're my best friend, that's it.

hahaha

message 4: by Matt (new) - added it

Matt Lawson The Road to Los Angeles, in my opinion, is by far Fante's best work. It is such a shame he didn't live to see it published. I don't think I've ever laughed so hard at an anti-hero protagonist with the worst case of grandiose-complex in the world.