Katie Fitzgerald's Reviews > Puddin'

Puddin' by Julie   Murphy

2281988
** spoiler alert ** As an adult reading this book for my own entertainment, I give it a solid four stars for its strong character development, the believable friendships and dating relationships between the characters, and the overarching message about self-acceptance. As a Catholic mom, though, I was a little bit disappointed that Millie, whose family is religious, denounces her family's faith and stops attending church as part of her growth and change into the person she wants to be, and that Christianity is made out to be a judgmental and damaging force. There are so few Christian characters in YA books and it was a shame that this character couldn't come into her own as both a woman and a Christian. Still, Millie is a good role model for how to make and maintain friendships, and her friendship with Callie gives a lot of insight into the way girls might miss out on a good friend because of initial preconceived notions. Both Callie and Millie also date very nice boys and there is minimal sexual content in the book, which I so appreciated. All things considered, I think Puddin' was even better than Dumplin'!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Puddin'.

December 31, 2018 – Shelved