Toyin A's Reviews > Risk and Return: A journey of entrepreneurship and self-discovery in Africa

Risk and Return by Yomi Jemibewon

There are just some books you read and you tend to highlight every other line because the book is so relatable and you learn a lot from it. Once I stated reading this book, I knew I was going to have cramps in my legs from sitting in one spot just reading until the very last word.

In 277 pages, Jemibewon tells his captivating story without airbrushing the doubts and struggles he faced once he decided to move back to Nigeria and start an enterprise with 3 partners.

It felt like I was listening to a life coach or a preacher because reading every other page had me saying "boom" or "wow". At some points, I was speechless and stared out of my window taking in what I had read.

I had to keep reminding myself that this was not just a story, it was the reality that 4 men who dared to think lived. Although this is told from a perspective of starting a venture in Africa (specifically Nigeria), I think it applies to anyone who dares to do anything outside their comfort zone.

At the end of the book, there are 15 profound lessons outlined, just incase you missed them while reading the whole book. If you are at crossroads or wondering if you can take a leap of faith into a new venture, read this book. The lessons will definitely guide your decision making process.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Risk and Return.

Quotes Toyin Liked

“Only by fulfilling those immediate roles and responsibilities would I put myself in a position to figure out how to make a future I could live with.”
Yomi Jemibewon, Risk and Return: A journey of entrepreneurship and self-discovery in Africa

“I don't need to prove that I deserved to be there. I just needed to connect and be sensible in what I was saying.”

“Were we ready to relearn things we had learned to ignore?”

“Would my energy be mistaken for rudeness? Could I deal with that?”

“I was speaking with a confidence I didn't completely feel.”

“What you get from something should be worth more than what you put into it.”

“Sometimes a catalogue of mistakes can become a collection of good decisions.”

“In every new journey you will encounter many situations where you do not know what to do. Yet you are not without resources.”

“Whatever you did before, whatever you learned from life, there will be a competency from your own past that can be of service to you.”

“Yet even when you don't win, you learn.”

“But that's is the simple genius of entrepreneurship. You find a need and supply it.”

“I wasn't trying to be Gandhi. I just wanted to go home and make a life for myself.”

“We need more contributors to drive the change that we all wish to see on our continent.”

“Admitting my fears was the only thing that allowed me to estimate the price of the plunge and find the courage to take it.”

December 31, 2018 – Shelved