Sarah's Reviews > Disappearing Earth

Disappearing Earth by Julia  Phillips

liked it
bookshelves: fiction, netgalley, mystery-thriller

3.5 rounded down

Disappearing Earth opens with two young sisters going missing in Kamchatka, a remote community in Siberia. From here on each chapter tells the story of a subsequent month after their disappearance but from the point of view of women in the community who have been impacted by the mystery.

While at it's heart this is a mystery their disappearance and the police work takes somewhat of a backseat for a lot of the novel. The chapters read almost like interconnected short stories which instead examine the issues other women in Kamchatka faces in their daily lives - dysfunctional relationships, family conflict, the widespread racism in the area against the "natives" - although the fear brought on by the crime features pretty heavily too.

The writing is strong and Phillips develops some great characters, however I found the characters I liked most ended up with shorter chapters and we spent more time with characters I cared less about. This is probably just me, but I feel like we could have lost one or two of the later subplots as I failed to see what they added to the story.

I can't be the only one who rates books in my mind as I'm going along, and this one started so strongly - a solid 4.5 - and then after the midway point slipped to something like a 2.5... so I'm settling on 3.5 rounded down as my final rating, because overall it was a pretty good debut.

Thank you Netgalley and Simon and Schuster UK for the advance copy, which was provided in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Disappearing Earth.

December 31, 2018 – Shelved
December 31, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
May 31, 2019 – Started Reading
May 31, 2019 – Shelved as: fiction
May 31, 2019 – Shelved as: netgalley
May 31, 2019 – Shelved as: mystery-thriller
June 1, 2019 –
June 1, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Julie (new)

Julie Ehlers I read a New Yorker review that made me ambivalent about reading this, and your review makes me think it's not for me. Starting out with a mystery and then having a bunch of chapters from different points of view that don't really move the mystery plot along sounds like... the very definition of not my kind of thing.

Sarah Julie wrote: "I read a New Yorker review that made me ambivalent about reading this, and your review makes me think it's not for me. Starting out with a mystery and then having a bunch of chapters from different..."

Haha, well I'm glad my review helped you decide :) I did find this a bit frustrating towards the end but 3 stars seemed harsh given how much I liked the first half. I'll have to track down that New Yorker review!