Fanna's Reviews > Sincerely, Harriet

Sincerely, Harriet by Sarah Winifred Searle

72205668
Sincerely, Harriet is a story about a young teenage girl who is diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (MS) and recently shifts to a new city so her parents can get help from better doctors. The primary plot focuses on the loneliness that Harriet deals with as she leaves behind her friends (who don’t reply to her postcards) and due to her parents usually working overtime.

The instant pull for me was definitely the art--it has a different style from the mainstream comic artworks and the color scene really sets with the subtle, sad tone of the story. The main character, Harriet, is often shown to make up stories and form rude opinions about others, like the mailman who stares at the dogs and the old lady who she thinks is a murderer. Though her personality doesn’t belong to the good-vibes one, I did find her interesting and was happy to see a character development toward the end of the story. The parents were justifiable for working overtime since they had a daughter’s treatment and their own dreams to achieve. Even Pearl, the old lady, plays a strong supporting role in Harriet’s development by propelling her to read books and find something she loves to do.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this to anyone looking for a quick read that also reflects on the ways that a chronic disease can affect someone’s life and/or personality, especially at an age where the diagnosed person can’t even fathom life itself.

Disclaimer: I received a digital copy of this via Netgalley but that, in no way, influences my rating and/or opinions about it. Thank you, Sarah Winifred Searle and Graphic Universe!

LISTS OR POSTS I'VE MENTIONED THIS BOOK IN:

January 2019 - 30 Books On My TBR For This Month

Blog/Website | Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram | Pinterest

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sincerely, Harriet.

December 30, 2018 – Started Reading
December 30, 2018 – Shelved as: comics
January 1, 2019 – Shelved as: january-2019-tbr
January 1, 2019 –
page 40
22.73% "The art is so cute and peachy <3"
January 1, 2019 –