Anna Theurer (Anna's Bookshelf)'s Reviews > Lachlan's Protégé

Lachlan's Protégé by V.F. Mason

4.5 stars Lachlan’s Protege is a very good, dark, and twisted romance. Lachlan is a unique character that you love to hate. He is a sociopathic serial killer who experienced unspeakable things. He his is on a quest for vengeance and carefully orchestrated how to achieve that. Unfortunately, it involves the lovely Valencia who grew up sheltered in a very religious household. Can a monster and an angel ever have a true HEA?

This book is a twisted story where Lachlan was an alpha anti-hero that ended up loving. He is a survivor, but also a unique character that I’ve never quite seen in other books. That being saig, I am not so sure I would have fallen in love with him even though I understood his need and methods for revenge. Valencia was somewhat of a weaker character in the beginning. She continually put others before herself out of misguided fear. However, I quickly learned that she was very resilient and refused to cave and become submissive towards Lachlan.

The story is interesting with a unique storyline, intriguing characters - both main and secondary, and some steamy scenes. Lachlan’s Protege is told from a dual POV, but the flashback scenes are solely from Lachlan’s POV, which I feel is appropriate given the plot. I thought there would be a little bit more sex scenes throughout the book and I found that the some of the middle dragged a bit as well too many back and forth between past and present - hence only 4.5 stars instead of 5 stars. I absolutely loved the last chapter and the epilogue. While there were multiple secondary characters that we only learn a little bit about, I am eager for each of them to have their own books (note: Sociopath’s story is out). *Trigger: there is a lot of torture, violence, and mention of child sexual abuse.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lachlan's Protégé.

December 30, 2018 – Started Reading