Sarah's Reviews > Something Borrowed

Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin

bookshelves: glued-to-my-hands, faves, z2016, fiction

2nd Reread -

In theory, I shouldn't really like this book. It's about a girl falling in love with her best friend's fiancé but as the book progresses you find out that the girls don't really have a healthy friendship, they're just holding onto a friendship that is way past its expiry date. I feel like Emily Giffin uses that unhealthy relationship as a platform for the readers to be like "yes, Rachel steals Darcy's fiancé and that's bad BUT Darcy is a crap friend and so it's not THAT bad". It is bad, end of. There is no justification for having an affair with someone's fiancé. Plus I didn't think Rachel was that great to begin with. The love between Dex and Rachel was so problematic too, I won't even get into it.

So I shouldn't like the book but I do. Partly because it was one of the first few books I read that made me love reading and reading it again, brought back all those feelings of being in love with reading for the first time as an adult. Plus the book isn't bad. It's quite entertaining, it's well-written and Emily Giffin writes characters you can relate to. They're very relatable and that makes them kind of likeable. This book was very easy to read which I love too.

I would recommend this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Something Borrowed.

January 19, 2012 – Shelved
February 25, 2013 – Shelved as: glued-to-my-hands
March 23, 2015 – Shelved as: faves
August 13, 2016 – Started Reading
August 13, 2016 –
page 1
0.31% "Not sure when I read this first but I'm re-reading it :)"
August 13, 2016 –