Emily's Reviews > Stir It Up

Jan 19, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: contemporary, food-fiction, ya-fiction, 2012-reading-challenges
Read in January, 2012

Why I picked it up: It’s food fiction! And this one has recipes, and in my definition, that’s true food fiction.

Anjali works at her dad’s Trinidadian restaurant in Queens. She loves food, she loves to create new recipes, and her dream is to be the youngest star on the Food Network. The teacher at a local Saturday cooking class tells Anjali about contest for exactly that. Anjali is over the moon, but the tryout is the same day as the entrance exam for the high school her parents want her to go to.

Plot wise, this is fairly predictable. I found the fake “recipes for life” (there are recipes for Be Who You Are Bread, Ambition, and Success) to be way too cheesy and honestly, a bit of a turn-off. But I still enjoyed the quick read. I particularly liked Anjali and her best friend Linc and their relationship, especially as it was always a friendship and never hinted at more—not all books need a love interest! And not all male/female best friends fall for each other! The recipes looked good and had a lot of flavors that really interested me. I also appreciated that they didn’t seem dumbed-down for a younger audience.

Reading Bingo: My Choice
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stir It Up.