Miranda Reads's Reviews > 2018 on Goodreads

2018 on Goodreads by Various

bookshelves: to-read

Never reviewed a year before, but here goes!!

2018 was absolutely full of books - 290 to be precise - and with those books came some amazing highs and some pretty deep lows.

I discovered the pure awesome of Sarah J. Mass (courtesy of Angela's Booked)... and the pure headache of Gena Showalter (also courtesy of Angela's Booked).

Actually, a huge shout out to Angela's Booked in general for getting me on this site - she's literally the best.

I read over 90 books from authors and publishing companies - an opportunity to which I'm eternally grateful and amazed by. Thanks to them, I discovered many amazing books that I wouldn't have found otherwise.

So, without further ado, here are the best, the worst and the favorite books for 2018.

Miranda Reads' Best Books Read in 2018

1. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling - the fully illustrated edition truly makes the book magical. The illustrator must be a wizard.
2. A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J Maas - this chick is a Maaster ('nuff said).
3. Eragon by Christopher Paolini - loved this one the first time through and every time after that. AND there's a new one coming out.
4. Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman - hilariously heartwarming. Absolutely adorable and truly memorable.
5. Where'd you go, Bernadette? by Maria Semple - all I can say is YAAAAS! The humor was completely spot on and I literally laughed out loud
6. Throne of Glass by Sarah J Maas - seriously, where has the Maaster been all my life?
7. The Wild Robot by Peter Brown - I will fight anyone who claims that middle school books are "too young" - this one was truly excellent and the audiobook was amazing.
8. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen - ohhhhh man, this book will never grow old. I want to reread it in 2019.
9. Nevernight by Jay Kristoff - super psyched by the savagery of this one. So gloriously brutal.
10. Twilight by Stephenie Meyer - I know, I know but the nostalgia is too much for me. Loved this one.

Miranda Reads' Worst Books Read in 2018

1. Bear by Marion Engel - what the hell Canada? Just what the hell.
2. Warstorm by Victoria Aveyard - I think I lost half my brain cells with that one.
3. Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher - Hannah is a b*tch. Nuff said.
4. Firstlife by Gena Showalter - anyone ready for the most annoying special snowflake in existence?
5. Darkest Night by Gena Showalter - mind numbingly awful, with a dash of casual rape.
6. Perks of Being Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky - maybe this was good for its time... but it definitely isn't good now.
7. Animal Farm by George Orwell - my hatred of this book is only matched by the volume of fans who claimed that I only dislike it because I "didn't get it."
8. The Death of Mrs. Westaway by Ruth Ware - this one wasn't too terrible but it was so similar to her other novels that it honestly felt like I was rereading.
9. All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr - let's make the Nazis beautiful, poetical and tragically misunderstood. And then make it horribly depressing for no apparent reason.
10. Life and Death by Stephenie Meyer - sometimes it's better to quit while you're ahead.

Miranda Reads' Favorite Books in 2018 **

1. Vox by Christina Dalcher - earned a well-deserved Goodreads nominee for best in science fiction!
2. Foundryside by Robert Jackson Bennett - fabulous start to a thrilling series (also, two words: talking. key.)
3. The Winter Soldier by Daniel Mason - absolutely riveting. Loved it cover to cover.
4. The Travelling Cat Chronicles by Hiro Arikwa - I cried. I cried so hard. But it was the best cry I had all year.
5. The Man Who Walked Backward by Ben Montgomery - the title says it all. Such a sweet novel!
6. The Lifeboat at the End of the Universe by Simon Brading - loved the premise, and the ending!!
7. The One and Only by Julia Ash - a fresh take on the zombie trope!
8. Therapy Mammals by Jon Methvan - dark humor at its finest!
9. Can a Princess be a Firefighter? by Carole P Roman - extremely well-done children's book. Fabulous illustrations!
10. Aftermath by Tom Lewis - a riveting read. Aliens and teenagers - two things that should mixed!
11. The Squeezor is Coming! by Becky Benishek and Matt Fiss - loved this book, literally couldn't be cuter. Technically, I wasn't given this one to review but I know the illustrator through a friend of a friend... Anyway, loved this one so much that I bought copies for all my little cousins!
12. The Tribe of Iodine Wine by Brian Pacini - rarely have I read a book with so many teenagers portrayed so realistically!
13. Who's Minding the Store? by David Lucero - a whole new take on retail therapy!
14. Shivers in the Night by Various Authors - a fun collection of spooky stories.
15. If Nuns Were Wives by Shani Chen - a fun book about marriage from a somewhat unusual perspective!

**note: these are chosen from the books sent to me throughout the year to review. With over 90 books to choose from, it was incredibly difficult to narrow this down. If you are interested in other books I've recieved to review click here

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 2018 on Goodreads.

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)

message 1: by Brandy (new)

Brandy Isn't Where'd You Go, Bernadette? simply fantastic?! I read it five years ago and loved it. So dang funny!

Miranda Reads It really is! I cannot believe that I waited so long to read it!

message 3: by Andrew (new) - added it

Andrew A good synthesis of this year, Miranda! I hope that, in the end, you can say that is more what you liked that what disappointed you. :)

message 4: by James (new)

James Hightower Great list! There are still some there I need to read!

message 5: by Amber (new) - added it

Amber awesome I enjoyed Eleanor Oliphant is completely fine and the wild robot too. I read the final book of the wild robot series and it was a pretty good series too. throne of glass is pretty good too and I can't wait to read book II in the future too. awesome review and good luck with your 2019 reads too. Hey I am going to be doing a reading podcast soon so def check it out when episode 1 is posted here: https://www.facebook.com/RFPPodcast/

Miranda Reads Andrew wrote: "A good synthesis of this year, Miranda! I hope that, in the end, you can say that is more what you liked that what disappointed you. :)"

I can definitely say that! Such a fun year!!

Miranda Reads James wrote: "Great list! There are still some there I need to read!"

Haha, thank you :)

Miranda Reads Amber wrote: "awesome I enjoyed Eleanor Oliphant is completely fine and the wild robot too. I read the final book of the wild robot series and it was a pretty good series too. throne of glass is pretty good too ..."

Thanks! I finished the second book of the wild robot - absolutely LOVED it!

Thanks for the link!!

message 9: by Wendi (new)

Wendi Fabulous! 💖

message 10: by Jessaca (new)

Jessaca Willis Warstorm! Thank you! I was so disappointed in that one!

Julie Congratulations on a great year of reading, Miranda! Happy New Year! 😊🎉😊

message 12: by Tom (new)

Tom Lewis Aww, thanks Miranda!! That really means a lot! =)
Glad I didn't end up on the list with "Bear." LOL.
Have an awesome New Year!!

Bharath Stupendous reading Miranda! It has been great to read your reviews. Your post expands my ‘to read’ list further..

Miranda Reads Wendi wrote: "Fabulous! 💖"

Thank you!

Miranda Reads Jessaca wrote: "Warstorm! Thank you! I was so disappointed in that one!"

Same! I mean, I'm disappointed in the whole series but Warstorm was particularly bad

Miranda Reads Julie wrote: "Congratulations on a great year of reading, Miranda! Happy New Year! 😊🎉😊"

Thank you! Happy New Year to you too!

Miranda Reads Tom wrote: "Aww, thanks Miranda!! That really means a lot! =)
Glad I didn't end up on the list with "Bear." LOL.
Have an awesome New Year!!"

Oh gosh. Of course not! I couldn't bear it :p

Happy New Year to you too!

Miranda Reads Bharath wrote: "Stupendous reading Miranda! It has been great to read your reviews. Your post expands my ‘to read’ list further.."

Haha - thank you!

message 19: by Payal (new)

Payal Niharika 290 books is huge! Great stuff, Miranda :)

message 20: by KAS (new)

KAS Awesome lost of books you really enjoyed, Miranda! Hope your 2019 reads are just as exciting as 2018 :) Wishing you a Happy New Year!! 🎉🥂🎉

Andrew Hoffert Curious, how do you receive books for honest reviews?

Miranda Reads Payal wrote: "290 books is huge! Great stuff, Miranda :)"

Miranda Reads KAS wrote: "Awesome lost of books you really enjoyed, Miranda! Hope your 2019 reads are just as exciting as 2018 :) Wishing you a Happy New Year!! 🎉🥂🎉"

Thank you and happy new year to you too!!

Miranda Reads Andrew wrote: "Curious, how do you receive books for honest reviews?"

Authors or publishing companies will reach out. If I'm good friends with the author, i will sometimes offer. I know there's sites to sign up for reviewing books (Netgalley comes to mind) but I've never had the time.

Angela M Looks like you’ve had a wonderful year of reading, Miranda. I’ve enjoyed some of the titles as well. Happy New Year and happy reading in 2019!

message 26: by Allison (new)

Allison Love the year end wrap up!

Brandice Wow, 290 books is so impressive! Nice recap, Miranda! I’ve enjoyed reading your reviews this year. Hope 2019 is a great year for you, filled with many 4-5 star books :)

Miranda Reads Angela M wrote: "Looks like you’ve had a wonderful year of reading, Miranda. I’ve enjoyed some of the titles as well. Happy New Year and happy reading in 2019!"

Thank you! And happy new year to you too!

Miranda Reads Allison wrote: "Love the year end wrap up!"

Thank you!!

Miranda Reads Brandice wrote: "Wow, 290 books is so impressive! Nice recap, Miranda! I’ve enjoyed reading your reviews this year. Hope 2019 is a great year for you, filled with many 4-5 star books :)"

Thank you and same to you!!

Julie Ha! It just goes to show you. . . about half of your "bests" would be my "worsts" and vice versa. And, we also loved MANY of the same. Your 2018 wrap-up is a great reminder that not one of us should ever take ourselves too seriously on here.
You're a fabulous reviewer, Miranda, and you often make me laugh out loud, regardless of the book or the opinion. Keep 'em coming, sister.

message 32: by Angela's Booked (new)

Angela's Booked Ahhh love your review of 2018!! I have to read Where’d You Go, Bernadette and Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine-hopefully I get a chance in 2019 lol there’s just so many to read (I’m already behind and it isn’t even 2019 yet 😂). I also have to read the sequel to The Wild Robot! Ahhh that’s literally one of the best middle-grade books ever 😍

Here’s to a 2019 full of books!

P.S. I love how Sarah J. Maas and Gena each made their respective lists twice! Only a feat they could do 😜

Miranda Reads Julie wrote: "Ha! It just goes to show you. . . about half of your "bests" would be my "worsts" and vice versa. And, we also loved MANY of the same. Your 2018 wrap-up is a great reminder that not one of us shoul..."

Just goes to show how different opinions go :) thank you and happy new year!

Julie Yes. . . Eleanor Oliphant has been my greatest teacher this year. . . not only in getting more comfortable with swimming against a strong tide, but also in accepting the wide range of opinions and fierce loyalty that readers sometime experience with a beloved book.
I love reviewers like you, who don't back down from their unique opinions, but who also aren't antagonistic with opinions that oppose yours. I didn't know how to do that at your age, so I applaud your style and grace.

Miranda Reads Angela's Booked wrote: "Ahhh love your review of 2018!! I have to read Where’d You Go, Bernadette and Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine-hopefully I get a chance in 2019 lol there’s just so many to read (I’m already behi..."

You definitely do! Absolutely hilarious :)

And i know the feeling. There's so many books that i wanted to get to but i just couldn't! I cannot wait to get my hands on To All the Boys I've Loved Before and Spinning Silver!

Glad you liked the sequel to the Wild Robot. It's such an amazing series.

And yes, of course the Maaster and Showalter would make the lists twice. I very nearly put all of Gena's books on there :p

message 36: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin Excellent summary, Miranda! I really enjoyed many of your reviews this year and will keep a look put for what you read in the coming year!

Miranda Reads Julie wrote: "Yes. . . Eleanor Oliphant has been my greatest teacher this year. . . not only in getting more comfortable with swimming against a strong tide, but also in accepting the wide range of opinions and ..."

First off - definitely agree about Eleanor O. Such a truly amazing book.

Second off - Awww - thank you so much :) I'm so glad to have met you on this site :) :)

Miranda Reads Erin wrote: "Excellent summary, Miranda! I really enjoyed many of your reviews this year and will keep a look put for what you read in the coming year!"

Thanks! I'm so excited for all the new books coming up in the new year :) so many great reads coming!

Rebecca McNutt Great that you were able to read so many good books, I hope you find even more this year! :)

message 40: by Steven (new)

Steven Brown Thank you for all your wonderful reviews!!!!

Olivia It's been a good year on goodreads. I've always enjoyed reading your reviews. Happy new year my friend! :)

Miranda Reads Rebecca wrote: "Great that you were able to read so many good books, I hope you find even more this year! :)"

Thank you and same to you!

Miranda Reads Steven wrote: "Thank you for all your wonderful reviews!!!!"

Awww, thanks. You're so kind

Miranda Reads Olivia wrote: "It's been a good year on goodreads. I've always enjoyed reading your reviews. Happy new year my friend! :)"

Awww, thank you! And you are so nice! Happy new year to you too

message 45: by James (new)

James Joyce Miranda wrote: "290 to be precise"

Good golly!

Miranda Reads Ha! It's now 291 - managed to sneak one more in before the year changed :)

message 47: by James (new)

James Joyce description

message 48: by Elkin Follett (new)

Elkin Follett What do you think was yur favorite book in the rating?

Miranda Reads Elkin Follett wrote: "What do you think was yur favorite book in the rating?"

Definitely the illustrated HP. Definitely.

Miranda Reads James wrote: ""

Bloody.... but effective :p