Debra's Reviews > Inside Passage: Living With Killer Whales, Bald Eagles, and Kwakiutl Indians

Inside Passage by Michael Modzelewski

bookshelves: nonfiction

I discovered Inside Passage: Living with Killer Whales, Bald Eagles and Kwakiutl Indians by Michael Modzelewski, during my summer vacation-an Alaskan cruise.

One of the cruise's featured speakers, Michael Modzelewski, shared his enthusiasm for Alaska through stories and pictures of Alaska’s people, wildlife, and natural beauty. Even though his book was first published in 1991, his enthusiasm for Alaska’s natural beauty still echoed through his presentations. As I later read the book, I recognized some of the stories from his lectures. His unique cadence and inflection became my internal narrator, and I felt like I was on vacation again.

His philosophical and romantic view toward nature makes for a distinctive, almost poetic writing style.
Autumn on the island was my favorite season. The summer led procession of people had vanished, and now the air was knife-edge keen. There was a great reach and clarity in the sky. The blue was so transparent that the planets were still visible at midmorning. The north wind infused me with endless energy. I worked with arms and back all day, and then, fully charged, wrote and read into the night.

Although his words may wax poetic, his descriptions are clear and concise-how duck feathers repel water, how whale’s bones evolved from land to sea life, or how an expert fisherman catches salmon on a troll line.

Although I’m not adverse to the outdoors, it's unlikely that I'll ever live off the land, chop my own wood, grow my own food, or sleep naked under the stars. If you agree, I recommend this book as a way to vicariously experience life in Alaska through the eyes of a modern-day adventurer.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inside Passage.

December 29, 2018 – Shelved