Linda Lipko's Reviews > Miz Berlin Walks

Miz Berlin Walks by Jane Yolen

This is a book to keep and read time and time again, both for my reading pleasure, and to be read to the little ones who grace our door. A lovely tale of Miz Berlin who walks every night, the long way around the block. She is rather elderly and is noticed each day by a young black girl who as time goes by, waits each night.

Finally, she gathers courage to met the older white woman and together they walk and the little one listens as the elderly woman starts and stops, then begins again just where she left off. She weaves wonderful tales for the little one to listen and note the inflection and emotion.

Sadly, one night Miz Berlin does not take her walk. With the help of her mother, they go to Miz Berlin's house to learn she fell. Recovery is long and painful. As the elderly woman passes on, the young girl will always have the loving memories of stories told and hands held as in the early evening two friends walk side by side.

The illustrations of Floyd Cooper are incredible! And, Jane Yolen is one of my favorite authors. Her books are magical, each and every one! This book holds special meaning for me. It was an elderly librarian in a small NE Pennsylvania town who encouraged my love of reading. Just as the young girl in the story will always remember her mentor, I think of Miss Alice Blake often, and she will always hold a special place in my heart as each Saturday, she gave me suggestions of books to read, and then read some of her selections during story time.

Yes, no doubt Yolen was selective in choosing a elderly white woman and a young black girl to give power to the power that it took for the young girl to wait and walk in the hope she would be accepted.

For me, this is a story of trust, hope, and remembrance, and mainly the power of sharing stories, and learning to take the time to listen. It is wonderful to read a five star book as the 2018 reading year comes to a close.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miz Berlin Walks.

December 29, 2018 – Shelved