Kerri Anne's Reviews > The Son of Neptune

The Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan

Jan 19, 2012

bookshelves: favorites, young-adult

While I verily enjoyed the first book of the Heroes of Olympus spin-off series (The Lost Hero), I didn't realize how much I'd been missing Percy Jackson and his comedic voice until I started The Son of Neptune. Percy is just as dynamic as he is in the orignal series, and, much like in the The Lost Hero, multiple narrators and therefore multiple points of view (while not always the best bet for comprehensive storytelling) feels like Roman icing on an already tasty Greek cake. We get the pleasure of meeting new faces to add to our favorite demi-god contingent, and Riordan smartly combines past and present forces (and Greek vs. Roman archetypes) to build story-lines just as compelling as any existing in the original series.

This book made me appreciate not only Riordan's ability to remain consistent with Percy's voice, but also his ability to consistently introduce characters who are multidimensional and approachable, characters with engaging personalities and unexpected back-stories. Hazel almost instantly became my favorite female protagonist in the series thus far, and right now waiting until September for the release of the next book in this series feels a bit like being shackled to a glacier.

[5 stars for all of the above and because this book made me laugh nearly every other chapter.]

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Son of Neptune.

January 19, 2012 – Started Reading