Amber Marshall's Reviews > Karen Memory

Karen Memory by Elizabeth Bear

bookshelves: steampunk

I got this from the Bookcase Club when my friend signed me up for three months as a gift at Christmas. Definitely an interesting adventure and a fun narrator (despite the dialect that sometimes comes and goes and the use of fifty-cent words mixed with terrible grammar that, again, comes and goes).

It's somewhat unfortunate that many of the other girls (aside from a handful: Francina, Merry, Connie, Priya of course, and Madame) weren't that distinctive or memorable to me. They filled out the stable but didn't have enough personality to stick in my mind.

There were lots of pithy little lines that made me wish I was reading on the Kindle for easy highlighting (I know, I can highlight IRL but I don't like marking up books and it doesn't automatically collect the highlights in a separately perusable file). I've never read any Elizabeth Bear before but this was decently written and paced. I wouldn't be opposed to checking her out again, even though I'm not sure I'm going to seek out the next one in this series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Karen Memory.

December 29, 2018 – Shelved